Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Okay, I'm down.

Ouendan 2 by Tasian

Easily one of the more inventive uses of a Video Let's Play, and for my money, probably the LP thread where I've seen the most "I bought the game because of this thread" replies. It's a great mix of "advertising a game via LP", "showing off my skills at a game via LP", "Bringing Audience Participation to a new level" and "being funny while complementing* a game (as opposed to getting in the way)". Succeeds in a lot of ways.

I think the Japanese name throws people off, but this really isn't Anime Game #0043.

* To be clear, "complement," not "compliment." As in, the commentary is unobtrusive and works with the game's natural humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
METAL WOLF CHAOS!!!

Genpei Turtle is doing an amazing job with this. This is the perfect example of someone who's not hamming things up and knows how to show off a very funny and unique game. It takes brains to know when to be quiet and when to speak in a VLP like that (as opposed to deafly talking over everything) and Genpei knows what the gently caress he's doing.

Look, you trusted me back in the day with Snatcher, right? And Sprung? Trust me here, this game is worth it. Even if you think you won't like a video for any particular reason, just go through minute one and you'll like the rest.

Trust me, you'll enjoy this. And Genpei hasn't even gotten to some of the really good stuff yet.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sucker Punch posted:

gently caress ups and frustration = comedy.

I know you said video, but you might also like Oyster and Petoux's Final Fantasy. It looks circlejerky at first glance because it's using LPers as the characters, but there's no real in-jokes or anything, so it's actually not.

You get the added benefit of a screenshot LP of an iconic game like Final Fantasy where Petoux has never, ever played it before. Yet Oyster knows how to do things like exploit the random number generator. It's a neat little dynamic.

Sucker Punch posted:

Similarly, I got a kick out of that "Let's all play games for the first time" thread. I don't have a clue where the bloody thing is now, though.

Captain Novolin made a sequel to that thread.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Donkey Kong?!

For the longest time, I looked at the thread title and wondered how the hell anyone could do such an iconic... and frankly low-content-having game. And I just browsed on by. How could anyone do an LP of that?

Frankomatic answers by doing the Game Boy version; which is surprisingly really interesting because they take a fuckload of liberties with the original game. His commentary is pretty good and though I've only just seen the first video, I have to say it's a hell of a lot more interesting than I initially gave it credit for.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Stop whatever you're doing and read this awesome thread.

Well-executed, great game choice. This deserves a lot of attention. Zeryn, I consider you family because of this awesome LP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

yarrrjun posted:

can we sticky this thread?

We've already got 4 stickied threads in LP. (How did we get so many?) I like this thread, but I'm not sure how necessary it is to be always on the front page.

Hey, though, I might be in the minority here.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
When I first saw the title "I have a fever and the only prescription is more Ripper," I began to wonder what I should change that catchphrase in the title to. However, this thread contains:

- Christopher Walken
- "Don't Fear the Reaper"

Both of which combined make the joke actually appropriate. It also contains:

- Hilarious Full Motion Video Acting
- Paul Giamatti

So, I gotta highly recommend the Ripper thread.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I still think five stickied threads is a lot for LP, but I think it could be helpful, so I've stickied this for 3 days to see how it goes.

Proteus, if you'd prefer me not to do this for whatever reason, I can undo it.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Oyster posted:

Super Adventure Rockman

I like it. This is one of those LPs where the author works to their talent and it really works out. I'm honestly not even the world's biggest Megaman fan, but I gotta say, I like this.

Even if you're not an Oyster commentary fan, this is a whole new ballgame. Check it out.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
The 7th Guest by Malorie.

This is one of those "unobtrusive" LPs where Malorie does the boring puzzles for you and lets the audience participate for the better ones. It's a trip down memory lane and it's "classic" in that sense that it reminds me of the good old days of the screenshot LP where we were all curious what the game was going to do next, rather than what funny gimmick the author was going to pull up.

In this case, that is absolutely a good thing and the right way to do it, and I wish there were more threads like it in here.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Bonaventure posted:

Seconding this, it's probably the best thread in the subforum right now, for all the reasons slowbeef said.

It's basically the video version of a Valphor thread. Valphor? Vlaphor? The guy who did I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Vlaphor.

Along the same lines, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath

It's done, but I'm 7 videos in and I like it a lot. Again, Plavski doesn't really "take over" the game, so it's similar.

7th Guest is a lot more like "Here is the 7th Guest, not so much the LPer" - Malorie's there, but she's not as omnipresent. Plavski is, but he doesn't really get in the way, and his commentary is more on the order of explaining why he's playing the way he is, rather than coming up with funny gimmicks and what have you.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

SovietWaffle posted:

It's a really good thread but a comment like that is kind of stupid since there are other great threads going on and opinion is objective.

I think it was more a comment on how he likes the older style of Let's Play than anything else.

I like a mix of the old and new, which is kinda why, frankly, I do miss the old days when it was more about the game than the player and you didn't have to worry so much about being hysterically funny - your point was just to show off a weird/interesting game.

We tend to get a lot of the newer, "Make funny videos > show off a game" type of LPs. That can be good in its own right, but I think those work out better if they're driven by "I have a funny idea" rather than "This is how a Let's Play is supposed to be."

I wouldn't like to go entirely back, because you miss things like Cybershell's SONIC then. You can read all this and more in my book:

"Beneath The Headset: My Life in the Let's Play Thrill Kill Cult"

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

taxidermistpasta posted:

Any suggestions buddies?

Night Trap is one that Proteus suggested for me a long time ago and after looking into it, I think it would make a great FMV LP.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Ground Zero Texas for the Sega CD is pretty drat good too.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Grawl posted:

I think that became quite obvious when he started to add random scenes into the video.

Not to mention What The gently caress happens towards the end of Emerald Hill act 2? The screen changes for a split second to an image of someone putting their foot in someone's face!

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
He's two videos in, but Vakal (best known for the Ripper LP - the FMV one with Christopher Walken) is doing a good job with Let's Play Bad Mojo

The thread is pretty much surfing on the game alone - I mean this as a compliment as Vakal doesn't gently caress up the creepy atmosphere by adding too much. He sort of stands to the side with subtitles and directs you around.

The praise for the game is only exaggerating a tiny bit: There is no other game like it. I'm sure there must be one, but I can't think of it. In the thread:

- Your character is turned into a cockroach in a dank, roach infested motel and must survive a lot of gruesome (for a roach) deaths
- There are multiple FMV sequences, so if you like watching FMV games, this is a good one for that reason
- The game is high res and photorealistic; the visuals are actually really good for their time.

Definitely worth checking out.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Studio posted:

1 and 2 are kind of the same. It's really clear which threads care about the plot since they acknowledge them. I dunno I can't think of an LP where I'd be unsure about the plot mattering. Plus you'd have reports to go off of.

3. Rule 5 begs to differ.

See Sandcastle thread.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Super Metroid Redesign was pretty brutal to watch.

edit: In terms of axeil dying and having to reload state, that is.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 11, 2009

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

timeandtide posted:

I'm in the mood for a tragedy tonight: what are LPs of terrible games? Other thank Sonic 2k6, Daikatana, and Dark Id's stuff.

Hopkins FBI is the worst adventure game I have ever seen (let's played).

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Mother 3 by Bodrick. I was dreading a "Flavor of the Month" LP which is how I classify games with some level of notoriety/popularity, but Bodrick is actually doing a bang-up job here.

He also does a smart thing where he'll do a video update but leave the second half of the video as music only with "Please return to the thread" onscreen, as a neat way of getting you to listen to music while you read the images of the rest of the update. I gotta admit it, that was really smart.

Just watch your mouse cursor in thread, because people are all about late-game spoiler discussion.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
What happened to Psychedelic Eyeball's no-hit run of the original Castlevania?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Corridor posted:

The only video LPs I've seen so far and really enjoyed were Deceased Crab's La Mulana vids, and EvilTim's uh, everything.

I'm going to interrupt the onslaught of people who are about to make fun of you for pointing out Deceased Crab (though that said, I did like the original La Mulana LP).

But the problem is that a lot of your criteria are kinda subjective, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

I think Chip/Ironicus joints are a safe bet. They did the Metal Gear Solid games, No More Heroes, and 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand amongst a couple of others. I usually find they hit a good stride between showing off things in the game without getting too boring, and they add some production value to the whole spiel. It just kinda works.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/index.php?sauth=Chip%20Cheezum&search=1

I've also been enjoying Jamesman's Yakuza:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260961

And Cannibal 2K's The Void, although that takes itself a little seriously.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 14, 2010

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Pork Lift posted:

People didn't ALWAYS hate DC. He was pretty popular at first.

I don't hate Deceased Crab, even now. (Shrug.) I don't agree with everything he did, but hey. It's just a bunch of video game videos.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
A long time ago, I once said that the perfect choice for LPs is a cool game that's difficult or annoying to play or master.

Hence, ohmRICE's Yume Nikku. The OP does it subtitled, and mostly takes a step back to a creepy, atmospheric, abstract game.

I'm not even sure how to describe it exactly. It's got a 16-bit JRPG feel and interface, but it's not an RPG. It's got "items" (effects?) that change the PC's actions and appearances and there appear to be puzzles invovled, but sort of abstract ones.

It's something that seems fun and interesting to watch, but must be a nightmare to navigate (one of the mazes looks obscene in size)/figure out and OHMrice seems to have a great handle on what to include and what not to. Definitely liking the thread so far, waiting for more, and wanted to recommend.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Don't forget that Kefkafloyd is one of the original LPer, he did the original Bionic Commando game and the Megaman X. MMX has guest commentary, but some of the guests are familiar voices, like Slowbeef and Diabetus (this was the first LP he guested in)

Kefkafloyd was also the second person ever to do a VLP with Bionic Commando, if I remember right. I might be getting the times wrong, but I think Maxwell Adams was 3rd with Majora's Mask.

edit: My bad!

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 7, 2010

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

Actually Wolfshirt told me to not re-upload them. He is generally ashamed of that LP.

...Really? I thought that was one of the god damned funniest things. Huh.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

inky101 posted:

The next was set in a town wherein you could travel through a portal and be in the town in an alternate dimension. The plot was solving murders going on in the normal town within the other one. And of course, the circus was involved.

That really does sound like Darkseed 2 - You traveled through mirrors to the alternate dimension, and it centered around one murder where you were the primary suspect (it was your girlfriend Rita).

There was a circus too.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
No you're not stupid, I wrote that ambiguously. Yeah, Rita was the murder victim. Clyde was the actual murderer, not her. there's no clyde, i'm a big silly

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Lemme throw this out: davidspqckage is a very chill commenator who sort of peppers the horrible game with his comments; he's smart enough to know when to let the game speak for itself...

He also adds funny videos and update images which, while not the star of the show, do show he's putting in extra effort and not just doing a book report LP on a bad game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
If you like screenshot LPs of terrible adventure games (and I love those) davidspackage is LPing Blackstar. I think the thread's currently on hiatus, but it's a pretty funny read as the game is very amateurishly written, and the art style is... well...

Yeah.

Just a warning, it starts getting NWS around update 5 (but all images like that are thumbnailed). Slow update schedule, but I really like the thread, so yeah.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Epee Em posted:

Not to blow my own horn (among other things), but that reminds me of the Chrono X sub-LP I did that got archived along with MMBN1. The creators of the game actually responded to the LP and sent me feedback on YouTube. So, sort of along the lines of Drewseph commenting on the Metroid Redesign videos occasionally. Are there any other LPs where the game developers or related people noticed the LP and sent in feedback?

Joudas' Sanitarium LP had a developer (ChuckMaster) who was also a goon comment after each "level" about what the team was thinking, and why they did certain things.

It was really, really awesome.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

FirstAidKite posted:

Didn't he also reveal a couple easter eggs that people never reported finding normally too?

Now that you mention it, yes.

I seem to recall that while the LP was Archived, ChuckMaster's comments were not, which is a shame.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Let's Play The Shivah

Why watch LP The Shivah? Why not watch LP the Shivah? Why, should I be watching The Shivah? Don't you think you should be watching LP The Shivah?

edit:

Honestly, the OP explains it 1000x better than I could've; it's a very unique adventure game - premise and execution are very cool. And you'll learn about Judaism.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 24, 2011

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I was a drat fool for not believing everyone about the Dongan Ronpa LP.

I got spoiled on something from a report I had to check out and decided "oh gently caress it, I should start reading to see if it's a big deal or what."

Holy poo poo.

I couldn't stop from about page 8 and I've now finished page 41 and I want to read it all tonight.

What a loving game. The OP is translating it, giving facts about the game and Japanese (it's not released here) but wow. The gameplay takes a severe left turn at some point and it's all really good.

You think the game hits the ground running, but it keeps getting more and more hosed up faster and faster.

Wow. Do yourself the favor and check it out, even if you are not a visual novel fan. (Because it's not a visual novel, even though it seems that way at first.)

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Coolguye posted:

You might want to skip the thread for just the updates in Dangan Ronpa, though, I've had to hang up on the thread about 3 times at this point because people get so self-righteous, blatantly racist, and defensive regarding their pet theories that I'm embarrassed just reading it.

What an appropriate post for the LP Recommendations thread. Also, thanks for using the report button and helping out with that!

OH WAIT

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Captain Frigate posted:

I dunno, a thread being unpleasant to read is I think relevant to a recommendation.

...Alright, that's fair. Maybe I overreacted a little... but I do get "That thread sucks, just saying off-handedly." "Did you report it?" "No."

I'll bring it up with the other mods, and see if somebody got there first or whatever.

All the reports from that thread I remember have to do with spoilers and a transphobic comment that was edited out, and the poster apologized. I don't remember any racist reports from there.

edit: Actually, there were a couple of creepers Zorak and I banned too. If people really are being racist, report them again.

Alright, Coolguye, fair enough - if you report poo poo in that thread, I won't assume you're being a jerk or something.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I'm genuinely a little unsure of how to recommend this thread, since I kinda feel like you should go in a bit unaware.

Well, Metroixer's Feel the Magic XX/XY is a lot of fun.

If, like me, you enjoyed this launch-title DS game but forgot all about it, Metroixer gives a chill, relaxing play through it. Kinda wish he'd do hard mode, but I sort of remember why he doesn't.

Now if you've never heard of this game... it's very Japanese. Not anime, not creepy, just ... off kilter and odd and funny. It's got some odd uses of the Nintendo DS stylus and microphone, it's silly, it's ...

It's about a boy who meets a girl, and too woo her, he joins a group-

No, I won't spoil it.

Metroixer's videos are short and it really doesn't take very long to see if it'd interest you or not. But I'd recommend if you want a chill LP of a very silly, innocent game. I think the videos range in the 5-10 minute mark, so there's not much investment. Go enjoy.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'm looking for some JRPG/RPGs LP's that preferably are video that aren't Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or Persona? I love watching RPG's while working on things at home and after attempting to watch guys like HC Bailey on YouTube I just want to tear my ears off my head. It can even be modern JRPG's but I really like the old school style of gameplay.

You mean Video LPs? Those usually get discouraged here since there's so much repetitive stuff to slog through. I know there's a couple, but I can't think of them right now.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
Hello everyone, my name is slowbeef and I'd like to preface my recommendation with the following: I like adventure games, and the more obtuse the puzzles, and the worse the writing, the better candidate I feel they are for LP mockery shenanigans. Some of the things I've LPed:

- Darkseed: In which we tie a rope to a gargoyle to rappel down the side of our house to avoid the police who are controlled by aliens and standing outside the front door not doing anything.

- Amazon: Guardians of Eden: In which we put a trash can on our heads to fool a sci-fi robot in order to break into an area of our own job.

- Sprung: In which we had to get panties from an old lady.

So, I think I know something about bad adventure games... no, let me amend that. I thought I knew about bad adventure games, but Bacter blows me the gently caress out of the water with Bureau 13

On paper, it's like X-Files meets Men in Black - a covert government agency recruits supernatural beings like aliens and vampires in order to suppress knowledge of, and neutralize, evil supernatural beings like demons and vampires.

In practice, holy hell, this is a trainwreck of trainwrecks. Our covert unit consists of a woman in a bikini and a battlemech (the torso of the mech is glass so we can have our cheesecake and eat it too*), a priest, a vampire, and an old witch who is actually kinda stacked. It's like a setup to a joke, and it is, because I can not get over how bad it gets. Dialogue trees simply end mid-conversation, your vampire doesn't appear to do anything useful, and none of the NPCs blink an eye at the bikini girl in the battlemech, and she even successfully passes herself off as a reporter!

"Gee slowbeef," you say. "I doubt the game takes itself that seriously." No... no, it does. It just ran out of budget, apparently.

It's currently ongoing, Bacter includes audience interaction in the form of both voting ("Should we go to the forest or the other forest?**") and audience-written writing challenges, which admittedly, I skipped, opting to read the LP updates first. His snarky commentary actually does help complement things.

So, if, like me, you are amused by obtuse puzzles and watching people backtrack and pixel hunt, give Bureau 13 a whirl.

* I'm pretty sure I stole that joke from Carrot Top or something

** Actual in-game choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jesto posted:

Has any other LP in this forum had the game's designer swing by?

The old Sanitarium LP had the creator give a level-by-level analysis of what the designers were going for.

Recently, Adam Cadre, author of a bunch of IF games gave commentary on his games being LPed.

• Locked thread