Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
First off McKain's thief thread, Wugga's quake thread, LordMune's Fahrenheit thread, Vexation's NOLF thread and Scorchy's Blade Runner thread have already been recommended, but I would second those recommendations.

I'd also like to throw onto the list Clavius' Monkey Island thread. I've played through Monkey Island before, but Clavius has added a lot of extra writing and humour that helps make the LP enjoyable. He's updating regularly, and he's presenting the game very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
This thread needs to be ignored less.

Static_Fiend's KISS: Psycho Circus thread now has several videos up and it's looking really good so far. If you've seen his Quake 4 or Prey threads you know he maintains a high quality commentary, and does his best to show off the game as best he can, while still keeping the playthrough interesting. The game doesn't look as bad as you might think from the name, so you should definitely check it out.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Mesothelioma posted:

Was there ever an LP for Phantasmagoria 1 ?

Short answer: yes

Long answer: I think a lot of that LP has disappeared since, because I seem to remember trying to archive it a while back and finding that bits were gone.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Let's Play games for the first time and the video you're meaning is Hudson Hawk by Taxidermistpaste.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Also, while it hasn't been archived, Frankomatic recently went through the entire King's Quest series starting here, aside from the last game.

It is actually up on the archive :).

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

EricFate posted:

True, but there comes a point where I have to stop and ask myself, if a machine can run Mass Effect 2 out of the box, and it can't play back a streaming video from the internet -- is the problem with the computer or is the problem with the video.

The answer is that there's something wrong with the computer.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The Op seems to indicate it was a stage6 vimeo LP, so both of these hosts are out of the question. Luckily this internet archive page looks like it's the only place left, so if you can bear with downloading the ogv videos at 100kb/s you should be okay. The few test videos i tried worked fine in VLC. :)

Don't download the ogv videos, they're a secondary transcode. The cinepack files are the originals I downloaded from vimeo.

There is one scene that's missing, as far as I know it's lost.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Should be fixed now, I downloaded the maxproject mirror file and it seems to be working. Looks like the file originally on baldurdash was only partially uploaded so the apache plugin I use to support seeking to unbuffered video freaked out and refused to stream it at all.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Reive posted:

Bah, dunno anywhere appropriate to ask so this seems the best thread for it.
Is there a copy of ManxomeBromide's The Gostak LP anywhere?
It fails to come up in Google other than the lp masterlist, and the scripting on that site is always broken for me (ie can see the list but can't click the titles to bring up the link).
I am recommending it as well of course! ;)

What exactly is broken about the site? Do you get any JS errors? I can't fix a problem if I don't know about it. It sounds like you have javascript disabled - if you do, that's why the site is broken for you.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Leovinus requested that it be removed. So unless he changes his mind it won't be rearchived.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Brassherald posted:

The only thing the search terms check are game, LPer, and the tags Baldurk puts on the LPs. So, you shouldn't be getting a game that the person was just mentioned in, only ones that they participated in and were credited for.

FYI since a lot of people seem to think this, I don't tag the LPs - they're entirely user editable. Click "tag this lp" on the header of any LP and a popup will let you tag to your heart's content.

Also yes, the search at the moment isn't the best and will overlap title/author if the word is ambiguous. Improvements are planned to the search and other areas, but it's tricky to find the perfect balance and make sure it works as well as it can.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Mico posted:

Considering Baldurk only just managed to archive his own LP of L4D2, I'm gonna say it's absolutely due to backlog.

FYI threads get archived roughly in order of when they're requested not when they're finished, I don't automatically hunt for threads that finish and grab them. So unless someone mails in, usually the author, it's not going to be archived.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Zedd posted:

:byodood: Bitch took my skull! (A great mocking LP of 50cent Blood on the sand)
http://lparchive.org/50-Cent-Blood-on-the-Sand/

Edit: Bah, it seems to be down on every host.

e: it's also up on youtube but I haven't updated it yet, I'll maybe get in touch with Chip to get new links or go and find them off his site, but that's true of a number of LPs - it's on my todo list.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

There's a stonking great big banner at the top of any LP that's available on archive.org.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

A lot of people either ignore it or just don't see it or something because I get questions about LPs being dead all the time. There is unfortunately nothing I can do to make it more obvious without making it completely and utterly obnoxious. I do eventually want to get LP table of contents updated but that won't always be possible (think LPs with image TOCs), and it's also a ton of work that's lower priority on my todo list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

Mico posted:

The only thing youtube's missing at this point are downloads (which you can fix with a greasemonkey script) and a decent looking 480p encode.

It's otherwise totally fine.

FYI you are still downloading youtube encodes, not the original video. As far as my interest is concerned I'd love it if people continue to use some host that allows source downloads so that when the LP is done it can be permanently backed up in high quality on archive.org.

• Locked thread