Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Scattersane posted:

Make sure you also read his Martian Dreams (http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Martian%20Dreams/) LP as well, preferably between U6 and U7. It's a vital step in the evolution of Steve from 'Haha we named a girl Steve' to just about the most hilarious goon antihero ever. Part of me actually prefers the Ultima storyline as done with Steve as the main character now.

The newest Nakar Ultima thread (Serpent Isle) has started a few days back and is already shaping up to be awesome.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2730724

Of course, it's even better if you've read the old threads, or at the very least from U6 forward.

Edit: If you have the archives, I have to recommend the Kana Little Sister LP. A hentai game with pretty much no hentai parts and instead a narrative that is guaranteed to leave you in tears, about your dying little sister. It even manages to avoid being horrifically creepy for most of the game. In a way it's kind of hilarious to think of some horny teenager downloading this game expecting to get his hentai fix and instead being served up one of the most consistently depressing and emotional storylines instead. Be warned though, there are huge number of pictures each page.

http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2417923

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 9, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm really enjoying Squint's VLP of Crusader: No Remorse - he doesn't shut up the whole time and he's quite entertaining, and it's a relatively entertaining game to watch anyway. It's only updated now and then but it's quite enjoyable.

I also really, really enjoyed Coulis' VLP of Shadow of the Comet which is now over but was really gripping to watch. It's an adventure game featuring an awesome polite British gentleman/Cthulhu-destroying badass protagonist, and had a real atmosphere to it. For extra laughs, he's now doing a VLP of it's sequel, Prisoner of Ice which is just totally insane.

As has been mentioned a hundred times before, Nakar's Ultima LPs are absolutely required reading. You don't have to be an Ultima fan (it will help) or even know anything about them, just read them. Feel free to start at U6 if you like and then go to Martian Dreams, then U7 and then Serpent Isle. They are the funniest things ever written online and Nakar turns the Avatar into the greatest character imaginable.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 29, 2009

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'm not sure this is the right place for this question, but I was wondering if anyone still has the videos for the old Bubble Bobble LP by taxidermistpaste and VollipopMambo? The thread still exists here but none of the Google Video links are up. I'd love to watch over it again.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Rirse posted:

Only taxidermistpasta has the original videos, but he is very slow at re-uploading content, due to limited access to the internet at times. He plans on re-uploading it one day, but he mentioned there are some videos missing.

What a pity some are missing. Still, I'd love to see what he has got.

Surely somebody would have downloaded them? I guess everyone figured Google Videos would last forever.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Holy poo poo, the Planescape Torment LP finally finished? I remember reading that a while back when it was still new. I got too far behind and kept putting it in the "catch up on later" basket. Perhaps I should go back and try it again. I remember what I had read of it was excellent.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also have a request for something that may be slightly unusual.

Does anyone know of an LP done of an story-driven RPG with a female protagonist? Not something like Diablo 2 or Divine Divinity where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story at all.

All that I can think of are the Atelier series and Reccetear, but surely there must be more out there that have been LP'ed.

Going back a looong time now, but Nakar did an excellent and hilarious series of Ultima LPs playing a female anti-hero Avatar. They're best read in order though you could safely start from Ultima 6.

http://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/
http://lparchive.org/Martian-Dreams/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/
http://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-Part-2-Serpent-Isle/

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Keeshhound posted:

That sort of falls into "where you can choose from a selection of generic heroes, but your choice doesn't change the underlying story," though, doesn't it?

Yes, though Nakar adds significantly more colour and characterisation to the games with the way he handles it. Admittedly it's played for laughs more than anything else, though, which might not be what Stabbey is looking for.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Petr posted:

This is a weird one, but has anyone ever done a VLP of the entire Ultima series? I loved those games, but screenshot LPs just don't do it for me.

Not on here, no, but I strongly recommend reading Nakar's series of six Ultima (screenshot) LPs anyway. They are some of the funniest and most comprehensive things related to games I've ever read and are paced perfectly.

Feel free to skip U4 and U5 if you like as it takes a couple of games before the LPs really kick into gear. The U6, Martian Dreams, U7 and Serpent Isle LPs just get funnier and more interesting as they go along.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It's been recommended a hundred times before, but I'll chuck up a vote for the dongs.exe LP by taxidermistpaste. Still one of my favourite ever.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Roar posted:

On that note, if you're okay with making light of terrible tragedies, Super Columbine Massacre RPG by TP is pretty amazing.

The V-Tech Rampage game he played first is also something to behold, starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTgDnMMWgQs

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

scissorman posted:

I vaguely remember there being an LP of Sim Life or Sim Earth but I can't find it in the LP master list.

Not sure if there is a better place to be asking this, but is the LP master list still up to date? How often is it updated?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Thanks for the info on the LP Master List, guys! I've also read the Sandcastle OP several times and somehow missed that :saddowns:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

bladedsmoke posted:

So I want my :10bux: worth. Are there any good screenshot LPs that can only be found in the Archives? (i.e. aren't on the external LP Archive site.)

Mouser did an excellent SSLP of the Leisure Suit Larry games from 1-5. It was never archived because he didn't finish it (he was intending to do all of them through to 7 but gave up midway through 6) but the games he did do were done very well and he had a whole heap of interesting behind-the-scenes information about Al Lowe and early Sierra after each update.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3322650

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not really sure which of those categories if any these would fall under (edit: comedy SSLP I suppose), but I feel like Nakar's Ultima IV-VI, Ultima VII and Ultima VII: Serpent Isle should get some sort of mention. If not, just take this like any other post in this thread, because they are Good Reads. v:shobon:v

Don't forget Martian Dreams! It comes between Ultima VI and Ultima VII and not only is the thread hilarious, but the game itself is really interesting as well.

Edit: ShadowCatboy's Planescape: Torment thread should probably also get a mention in the narrative SSLP section. I must admit, I never finished reading it so I can't vouch as to its quality in its entirety, but what I saw was fantastic and it was an enormous effort, with 150+ updates over the course of five years. And Planescape: Torment itself is awesome.

Finally, I'm not sure if he's still "cool" around here, but taxidermistpaste's dongs.exe LP is still one of the funniest things to come out of the LP forum.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 8, 2014

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'll give a blurb about Nakar's Ultima LPs, since they look a bit bare with just the links.

Nakar plays Ultima the way it was never intended to be played, with every loophole, cheap trick, and underhanded tactic possible exploited by the sociopathic Steve the Avatar, one of the funniest anti-heroes ever conceived of, and her ever-changing gang of long-suffering tag-along companions. Although U4 and U5 are kind of by-the-numbers, the introduction of portraits in U6 and beyond enable Nakar to inject an enormous amount of personality and humour into the LPs, while still showing off everything worth seeing in some of the best open-world RPGs of all time. Also Martian Dreams is awesome all by itself, as Steve travels back in time to team up with Marie Curie and Sigmund Freud to battle Rasputin on a coal-powered, steampunk Mars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Just quickly, the dongs.exe LP is not a SSLP, it's a comedic VLP.

• Locked thread