Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've got a full face respirator already and both sets of stairs are well positioned for cross flow so I think I'll just go for it.

Sanding, even with a good dust system (which I have), sounds like a nightmare.

I'll give Smart Strip a look too. Does the odor linger after you scrape off the sludge and get rid of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Elviscat posted:

This is a good idea, especially if you can get a cheap one that goes up to 11, that threadlocker should let go when it gets hot enough, and make the screw much easier to extract.

My old cheap butane multipurpose device failed pretty badly at this. After ten minutes with the iron touching the stub of the broken screw, my IT thermometer showed it had reached about 170F. I don't understand how that works, exactly. Heat transfer into the rest of the panel that the screw is stuck in? Then I tried torch mode instead, thinking maybe I could get in there precisely enough to avoid the wood trim, and smoke started coming out of every hole in the thing, along with a truly terrible smell.

I am losing faith in the possibility of success here. I worry that even if I get the screw out, the threads will be mangled, which in turn makes me think maybe I should skip the nonsense and go right to drill and tap.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The environmentally safe pink/green stuff is pretty odorless if I recall correctly. Compared to the regular volatile stripper that besides odor feels awful if it gets on your skin.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I don't think it really has much odor to speak of. I spec'd it on a job recently for a customer to strip some doors with badly alligatored oil based paint on them. I stopped by the job early afternoon the day he started, expecting that maybe the stripper had done its job and he was priming by then. He already had a door stripped, primed, and a first topcoat on so the stuff works well. If there's a bunch of coats on there it may take longer dwell time or multiple applications.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
That sounds ideal then.

I'm excited to see what mystery wood is underneath the paint (it's almost certainly the cheapest pine money could buy in 1998)

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

actionjackson posted:

has anyone heard of a 39" wide kitchen sink base cabinet, why the hell do I have this

Yes. I think my vendor goes up to 48 inches before they need to produce a custom detail.

What wrong with it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm a loving dumbass, and broke the front glass on my oven in my apartment while I was moving out. Is my best bet to buy a new door for it and replace it, or is there a better way to get new glass in there?

EDIT: And what's the best place to order parts for it? Amazon?

Second Edit: And I can't even find a manual for the goddamn thing, may just have to suck it up and pay the rear end in a top hat maintenance guy to repair it. Kenmore 790.90102206, if anyone can find it?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 17, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I'm a loving dumbass, and broke the front glass on my oven in my apartment while I was moving out. Is my best bet to buy a new door for it and replace it, or is there a better way to get new glass in there?

EDIT: And what's the best place to order parts for it? Amazon?

Ask your landlord assuming they aren't some monster corporate apartment complex, but otherwise Google make model part and go from there. You probably want to pay for expedited shipping. It might be cheaper to replace the whole thing sadly.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Ask your landlord assuming they aren't some monster corporate apartment complex, but otherwise Google make model part and go from there. You probably want to pay for expedited shipping. It might be cheaper to replace the whole thing sadly.

They're a corporate apartment complex, but I wouldn't describe them as "monster."

Found the glass at AppliancePartPros.com, but it's $247 loving dollars. Replacing the whole oven probably isn't an option given that it's from 2013.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

They're a corporate apartment complex, but I wouldn't describe them as "monster."

Found the glass at AppliancePartPros.com, but it's $247 loving dollars. Replacing the whole oven probably isn't an option given that it's from 2013.

Make sure you can even diy it in time before spending money. Your complex may have a repair company they contract which would be cheaper than paying extra shipping etc.

When I say monster I mean like Irvine Company or archestone style ones who charge massive month to month premiums and other stupid things like pet rent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Tezer posted:

Yes. I think my vendor goes up to 48 inches before they need to produce a custom detail.

What wrong with it.

i've found virtually nothing online that's 39", 36" is very common though. Ikea stuff is also 36" for a 33" sink which I have. home depot has one 39" sink base total.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 17, 2020

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Look for 39" Sink Base Cabinet. Sink Base equates to fake top drawers and doors to open space below. The good news is you can have a 36" sink. Farmhouse / Apron front sinks can get tricky with pre-fab stuff.

e: nvm--see you did look for sink base. If you call Home Depot/Lowes, they can "special order" a number of brands--from barebones frames to as much money as you want to spend (think https://www.kraftmaid.com).

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 17, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK this might be a drat fool question and possibly better answered somewhere else but:

can I detach metal dust from a magnet by using a more powerful magnet?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I bought a new bathroom faucet to replace the existing faucet. The new faucet has hoses pre-attached with 3/8" female fittings at the end. The supply stop valves in the bathroom were these one piece supply line + water valve with a 1/2" female fittings at the end that screwed directly to the old faucet. I bought a 3/8" to 1/2" brass adapter fitting and it seems to be doing the job just fine, but would the correct way of doing things would be to replace the existing supply line / valve with a correctly sized supply stop valve?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK this might be a drat fool question and possibly better answered somewhere else but:

can I detach metal dust from a magnet by using a more powerful magnet?
Well how are you gonna get it off the more powerful magnet?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Well how are you gonna get it off the more powerful magnet?

By putting a sheet of paper in between, as I should've done originally.

e: I found an obvious solution: tape :doh:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 17, 2020

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

actionjackson posted:

i've found virtually nothing online that's 39", 36" is very common though. Ikea stuff is also 36" for a 33" sink which I have. home depot has one 39" sink base total.

What are you trying to do? Is your existing sink base damaged?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Thanatosian posted:

I've bought a few parts for my dishwasher from repairclinic.com . They sell stove parts too. You might try there if you haven't already. They were the cheapest place I found for my dishwasher stuff.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HycoCam posted:

Look for 39" Sink Base Cabinet. Sink Base equates to fake top drawers and doors to open space below. The good news is you can have a 36" sink. Farmhouse / Apron front sinks can get tricky with pre-fab stuff.

e: nvm--see you did look for sink base. If you call Home Depot/Lowes, they can "special order" a number of brands--from barebones frames to as much money as you want to spend (think https://www.kraftmaid.com).

yeah I'm sure there's some special order option, it's just having it be 39" is much more limiting, for example I couldn't do the ikea stuff. I know I can have a 36" sink, but I had a new countertop and 33" sink put in last year so I don't want to change that.

Tezer posted:

What are you trying to do? Is your existing sink base damaged?

no, I was just pricing out cabinet replacement options for a new look

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bathroom toilet shut off has a strange connection
http://imgur.com/a/v235BV2
It has a slow drip. The middle silver thing can rotate independently of the shut off. No matter what direction I turn anything, no matter how many times, nothing seems to tighten or loosen. The shut-off and/or the middle silver cylinder are happy just to spin around forever.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Bathroom toilet shut off has a strange connection
http://imgur.com/a/v235BV2
It has a slow drip. The middle silver thing can rotate independently of the shut off. No matter what direction I turn anything, no matter how many times, nothing seems to tighten or loosen. The shut-off and/or the middle silver cylinder are happy just to spin around forever.

It's old/cheap and sucks poo poo OP. Replace it with a nice quarter turn valve.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Definitely, but I can't figure out how to get it off 😬

E: multi-tool'd that fucker

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 17, 2020

snickles
Mar 27, 2010
Got a sprinkler problem. My zones 4-6 (of 8) no longer work. I’ve replaced sprinkler heads before but nothing beyond that. I understand that I should have a control box somewhere that contains the solenoids and valves, which is probably where the issue resides. Although since my head box doesn’t give any errors, maybe that’s not it...

I’ve watched some YouTube videos and read some tutorials and it looks like I might have to dig up half my yard looking for the valve/irrigation box in order to solve this problem. Am I missing something obvious here?

Edit: I was, in fact, missing something obvious. After some further reflection I realized that zones 4-6 were all wired to a single “expansion” module. Swapping the wires to a different module let me activate the errant zones. A replacement module is on the way which should solve all my problems.

snickles fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thanks for twelve wonderful years of fixing things fast, the new thread is HERE!