Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The System
Aug 7, 2006
I didn't want to make a new thread about something that has an answer online. I have a question about the online answer.

I'm hoping to make a clothes dryer run properly. It heats clothes on most cycles without drying them. Only when using the fluff dry/low heat mode does it manage to dry clothes, and it takes two or three times running at that cycle to do that.

Going by online advice, the dryer is clogged somehow and needs to be cleared. I would like to know if I can do this using a shop vac using suction.

I haven't looked at the outside vent yet. Is it fairly easy to disassemble the vent to the outside and clear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The System
Aug 7, 2006
The evaporator coil on my central air conditioning unit keeps freezing over. Last week, I noticed the house wasn't cooling as usual and when I checked the vents for air flow, it was weak. When I opened the cabinet housing the evaporator, I saw a lot of ice. I let it thaw out for an hour then looked inside the coil to find a ton of pet hair and dust. I cleaned the coils with warm, soapy water and a toothbrush, let it sit for an hour, then started the a/c again. It seemed to work well. A strong flow of cool air was coming through the vents and the evaporator wasn't icing up.

After working for one week, the evaporator is icing up again. I think I've solved the problem with the coils being clogged, but would like to know if coils need a deeper cleaning than can be accomplished by removing all visible debris on the inside surface with a toothbrush and warm, soapy water (note: the outer surface of the coils was shiny and clean). If my cleaning method was appropriate and the fan seems to be working well, would my problem most likely be low coolant?

This a/c unit is about 7 years old and I've had to replace the capacitor in the unit twice, 2 years ago and 1 year ago. The last time I hosed off the outside coils was also last year. It doesn't cool my house easily, meaning it's on far more than it's off. Even if my problem is likely to be a quick fix like low coolant (that's still a quick fix, right? I'm not too clear on coolant requirements), I don't know if I'd be better off in the long run with a higher capacity unit.

In the short term, I'd like to know what are the most likely causes for the problem I'm having with a frozen evaporator. In the long term, how do I best decide if my a/c is sufficient for my cooling needs?

The System
Aug 7, 2006

grover posted:

That's a common symptom of low refrigerant levels. Have it checked.

Good to know, grover. After keeping the a/c off overnight, I turned it back on this morning and it has been running fine without freezing up. My uncle knows a guy who can check refrigerant levels and recharge units for a nominal fee, but he's only available after the Memorial Day weekend. I'm gambling that my a/c can limp along for a few days with frequent checking until I can get my contact to fix it.

grover posted:

A properly sized AC unit will run 24/7 the hottest days of the year and could let the temp slip up on record-braking days. It's more efficient to run a smaller unit all the time than a larger unit half the time, so running a lot is OK. If it's running 24/7 on moderate days, though, and failing to keep up, that's an issue.

That's just the kind of information I needed to know. Where I live, unfortunately, it seems like half the year consists of record breaking highs along with 90% humidity. In any case, I'll get this one problem fixed and then reassess if I feel it's not keeping up under our extreme summers. Thanks a lot for your help.