Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
One of my electric oven's hobs comes on every time I switch it on at the wall. I'm a lazy bastard, and I've put up with it as it's ok if I'm doing stuff on the hob, but otherwise is getting pretty annoying. How do I fix this? Is it as simple as just replacing a fuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Blowupologist posted:

So you have a wall switch that turns your oven on and off? What about the switch controlling the burner itself?

No, the dial controlling the specific hob doesn't matter, the element just comes on every time I turn the power on to the entire oven.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Sapper posted:

Probably a bad potentiometer in the dial, allowing the circuit to be closed all the time. You can probably get a replacement pretty easily, and if you're lucky the wires will be screw mounted on it, not soldered. Either way, you'll have to pull the instrument panel for the stove apart, which shouldn't be too difficult.

You may even be really lucky (so to speak...) and just have something shorting across the in-out wires on the dial. If you turn the knob for that burner, does it change the temperature any? If not, either the whole dial is shot, or there's a short. A short could easily cause a fire.

Thanks, I'll have a fiddle around with it today and find out. The temperature doesn't seem to change, but I'll find out for sure then.