Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

No more pigeon rubbing? Life in the vault is about to change...
So I wanted to try and make a shelfing unit for my DVD's and computer games, but I can't decide what to make it out of.

The most obvious answer, of course, is wood, but I want the shelf to be lighter than that. So I figured why not try PVC piping? I know it sounds weird, but I don't see much of a problem with it, but I've never done this kind of stuff before, so what do you guys say? Can you recommend a material that's light and easy to work with for a starter, that's also cheap? Thanks.

Boyz Scout fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

monkeybounce posted:

And just to throw it in there, it's shelving.

Thanks a ton :v:

How much do you figure the copper piping is gonna set me back? I'm working on a budget unfortunately. We're also looking at about 3 or 4 shelves each about 54" high,14" deep, and 24" long a piece.

Boyz Scout
Nov 3, 2006

monkeybounce posted:

Unfortunately, it's going to be pretty expensive. You're talking at least about 24' of pipe per shelf. (Each one of those measurements X 4). With those dimensions, I would estimate easily 100 bucks a shelf.

And if you made a 54" tall shelf, you would be able to fit 6 shelves with a 7th top shelf comfortably.

Jesus didn't mean 14" :psyduck:

So we're looking at $300-$400 then? Well I'd have to wait a bit longer, but it's definitely doable. Thanks a ton for your help, though.