Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I will never give up my gas stove. I've cooked on electric far too many times in my life to ever want to go back to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I just had mine replaced, I think it's more of an hvac person. My old and new one are both power vent which seems to be a good feature to have.

For a water heater you'd want a plumber. HVAC contractors might do boilers for radiant heat but they're not going to touch general plumbing.

Toebone posted:

Speaking of water heaters, mine is ~20 years old (gas) and bound to give up the ghost sooner or later. What should I look for when buying a new one? I assume this is the type of thing you need/want a plumber to install.

Tankless water heaters, if you can afford one, are well worth the extra :10bux: - we had plumbers put a navien NPE240A when we bought our house and it was another $600 over having them put in a 40gal tank, but it's substantially cheaper to operate and you never run out of hot water.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Ours is in our basement, but we still gained a decent amount of space since it's wall-mounted and far smaller than a 40 gal tank would be.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

They don't require any more ventilation than any other power vented gas appliance?

You can't run them up your flue like a cheap and inefficient gravity vented water heater, but a 2" PVC vent and condensate drain isn't exactly onerous, it's the same requirements a modern gas furnace has.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I have a fluorescent light over my desk, and the tube is on its last legs (the ballast is probably going too, but the tube is smoky inside at both ends). Thing is, there's so much variety of them I don't know what to get. It's 20 watts, 1.5" diameter, 23" from endcap to endcap, 24" to the ends of the pins, and the pins are half an inch on centers. I think it's this one. Is that right?

Yes, that is a correct replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for twelve wonderful years of fixing things fast, the new thread is HERE!