Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.
My house was built in 1929 when insulation apparently meant throw another blanket on the bed. I'd like to do something about this.

I'm planning on replacing the rest of my original single-pane windows this spring/early summer, but I'd like to get something in the attic other than bare wood. My attic is huge and seems to holds heat in the summer and act like a heatsink for my house in the wintertime.

I live in Lubbock, TX, which google tells me is in zone 3. The climate is fairly mild, but we'll get a month or two in the Winter where the temperature drops into the 15-35 range, and 2-4 months of 90-105F in the Summer. It's pretty much always windy, and this house is pretty drafty (although the new windows should help on that front).

I actually have been planning to roll some fiberglass out for the last year or two and I keep putting it off because I don't know what rating I'm supposed to get. The stuff I'm reading suggests that I need r-49 in the attic, but you apparently can't even buy anything above r-30 here. Do I need to install multiple layers or can I get by with r-30? Really, having lived for a few years with no insulation whatsoever, I would imagine putting anything at all up there would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU