Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plasticus
Aug 23, 2007
Carpet & Carpet Padding

Alright, short version of the project is that I'm finishing a room in my basement with some buddies, starting this weekend. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to home improvement. One of my friends is an electrician, and the other has done a fair amount of drywalling and plumbing.

I was pulling up the carpet last night, and the pad underneath was in pretty good condition. The carpet had been laid using pin strips (?) and a carpet stretcher. However, I just bought new carpet (pretty cheap stuff) that has a pad attached to it. So should I just double up on the pads? I think that having two pads would make it seem more comfortable, but I won't do it at the expense of having wavy carpet.

If I do use both pads, should I change the way I install it? My plan was to just tape down the new stuff to the concrete floor. If it makes a difference, the old pad appears to be a synthetic fiber(it's black, you can see the individual fibers if you look closely, and it has a ridged/wavy pattern), and the new carpet has a rubber backing. Can I tape the old pad to the concrete floor, then tape the new carpet & pad to the old pad underneath? Would a glue work better in this case?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasticus
Aug 23, 2007

PipeRifle posted:

Words

Based on some stuff Sapper said, I talked to my guys that are helping me out last night. Despite tape working well for one of them in his basement, we're going to try out gluing this carpet down, and we're going to get rid of the old pad. I actually like the feel of the new carpet WITH the old pad (I walked on it with carpet samples), but attaching one pad to another pad to the cement floor sounds shady the more I read responses here.

To try to further explain the carpet I bought... the rubber backing IS the pad. Like I said, I'm no expert here. Perhaps when most people say pad, they're specifically talking about a separate foam pad. I don't know. But this carpet has a 3/8" rubber back, which to me is a pad. Please tell me if I'm misinformed on this -- I'd like to have my lingo correct! It's cheap stuff, and I assume it's there for both cushioning, and it feels like it's supposed to be non-slip so you could conceivably just throw it down in a low-traffic area if you didn't care about quality. I also know that this stuff won't stretch well at all -- or that's what I've been told by a few guys who know more than I do -- so I do not think that stretching is an option.

In retrospect, had I known the pad still there was in good shape, I probably would have gotten a nicer carpet without the rubber backing and re-used the pad. Oh well, I'll work with what I've got. Thanks to you guys that have replied.