Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Quick favour:
I want to change the lightning in my room, as it is now I only have one 75W light bulb hanging from the ceiling in an ugly lamp so it gives appropriate illumination to the room, but it's... well, it's harsh, for a lack of a better word. Problem is, while I know what effect I want to achieve (proper illumination so I can SEE but something gentler), I have utterly no idea where to begin. Which type of lamp? Where to point it at? Also I was thinking about making some dimming lights at the sides of my couch (on the floor) in order to play games/watch movies. Good idea? Bad idea?

Are there any web pages you can recommend so I can steal some ideas or some general tips? I'm just starting off on this idea and I don't want you guys to solve everything for me; some reading material and pictures would be a great start. Once I have a general idea I will pester you guys some more. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It is my parent's house. I could start cutting holes, but I'd rather not, as I will probably be moving out soon, hopefully. For now, It's better if I make do with some minor tweaking.

Those Reveal bulbs sound pretty good, I'll see if I can find them around here. Thanks. Any pointers regarding placement/orientation of light sources?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Thanks for all the answers, I'll poke around a little bit more and hit Easy (our wal mart equivalent) on Saturday and see what they got. Maybe I can take a picture or two of my room and paint some "location ideas" I have in mind.

Thanks again, guys.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I need to store a whole bunch of crap (mostly books/magazines, but some other stuff as well) and take them to my building's basement for storage until we decide what to do with them. What would be the best way of making sure they are not completely ruined by dirt/humidity? I was thinking putting the books in cardboard boxes and tape them shut (duh), but should I take any extra steps? (I don't know, like putting reynolds wrap around the box or something?).

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
It's more of an "extra precaution" than a real fear, there have been some boxes choke full of books down there for some time and the books are mostly fine (humidity-wise), but one of them has opened up (I think the tape used to close it dried up) and now the books are coated with dirt.

The garbage bag inside the box is a good idea, I'll probably go with that and see if I can find a place to buy silica gel around here.

Thanks to both of you, if anybody thinks of anything else, please let me know.