Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dads
Dec 14, 2007

Zionist_en_fuego posted:

I'm trying to browse google for cool source material, as well as some photos I have lying around. Problem is, i don't know what resolution i'm gonna need for medium-large size posters (11x17ish). The highest res poo poo i found on google (which is also the coolest, just GIS "wallpaper widthtXheight") maxes out around 2500x3000. Is that too small for an 11x17 poster?

What resolution or image formats should I be working with? How much could I expect to pay to print about 9 or 10 posters on quality paper and have them framed?

Going along with what the Ritz fellow said, quality and price will largely depend on what is available to you locally. Any way you cut it, it's not going to be cheap. For example, for the non-franchaise photo/print shop I printed for we charged $12.50/sq ft for printing on good, archival quality paper (up to 33" wide). A cheap glass frame PLUS mounting job for, say, an 12x16 would run at least $30, realistically more like $60. I don't know if these rates are comparable to what is local to you, or really anywhere else for that matter.

If you want these prints to be recognizable from anywhere closer than 7' away they should be at least 150dpi, preferrably 300 or more (depending on the quality of print shop/equipment that prints your poster). If you have a print shop with skilled technicians (or at least stupid technicians with the right software), you can get by with less.

You confuse me. On one hand, you seem like youre trying to set up a real quality piece, on the other hand, you're GIS'ing what you plan on framing? With the warning that the prices I estimated may be atypical, you should still realistically balance how much quality/complexity you want versus how much money you will spend. And if you plan on busting a nice wad of cash on this, your raw material would be much more valuable coming from somewhere other than GIS. (deeeeeper quaaaiidd, digggg deeeepppahhh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU