Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Ive seen fairly small cut off wheels that you can use with a Dremel that are probably 3/4" long. You could cut part on the bottom and part on the top and not sink the wheel all the way in and do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

pukeduke posted:

I have an idea for a small plastic kitchen utensil that would need to be custom fabricated. Does a service exist where I can send someone a CAD file and they'll fabricate it to my specs?

If its something that can be made on a 3 axis mill and 2 axis lathe, I might be able to make it for you. I have SolidWorks, CAMworks, and access to a Hurco VM1 and TM6 (CNC Mill and Lathe)

Theres also e-machine shop. I have never used this site but its been around for a while:
http://www.emachineshop.com/

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
In that case, I would go to China, and get them to manufacture them. This requires a lot of whats known as due diligence but its lower production costs will likely pay off. Check out the manufacturers and forums at Alibaba.com and get some sort of proof that you were the first to come up with this because if your idea is good it will get stolen.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
You can't sand too much as long as its even and removes the previous layer.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Some metals/materials suppliers can supply you with plastic, but it'll probably be pricey. Any plastic would work.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
If you laminate something in a hot laminator like this:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=92499
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93110

And then were to cut it, would the laminate peel off? I want to make coupons/fliers to include with the items I sell that are 1/4 sheets of paper and laminate them so they look semi professional. I can buy both those for $22 but don't want to waste my money if they don't work.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
No I just need to laminate it, stick it in the box/envelope, and have them look at it and hope they don't just throw it out and return to my place of business on the internet to use it. I am not sure what you mean cut to close to the stuff inside though. I will be cutting the excess edges off and cutting them into 4 rectangles.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Delivery McGee posted:

You have to leave a border of plastic around the paper to keep it stuck. So you'd have to cut them first, then trim the laminate (but not all the way to the paper) after it's done.

Thanks, thats just the specific answer I was looking for.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Mirrored closet doors are nice so you can see what you look like when you're getting ready for an interview or date.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Is there anyway to print something out, like text or an image, that's cut out from the media its printed on?

I want to make an image that's a few simple lines and some text, as well as another sheet that has maybe 15 lines of text, and have it print with empty space where the text would be, then paint over it. Any way to do this? Any way of efficiently cutting out letters from paper that are fairly small?

The only thing I can think of is screen printing, but this will be a one time use thing. Any idea how much screen printing costs?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Think of how screen printing works. I want to do that but do not have access to the materials they use. Are there other options to do something similar besides and xacto knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Yes that's what I was referring to. I do not have the materials to do that at home.