Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

So I thought I'd ask here first before making a thread and asking.

We bought a new house this summer and got a great deal on it. Part of the allure was the massive basement that is framed in but not finished. We have the framing for an office with large closet, a central room with doors to a patio and then a room that has been framed to have a small kitchenette small living room and a bath.

The "problem" is that it is so much room, I'm afraid we wouldn't be utilizing the space effectively if we just slapped up some drywall and called it good. So my question is: What professional should I get to help me out. I need someone whose job it is to crystallize what we want our space to do and then give us a design plan we can follow or give to a contractor.

Is that an architect? An interior planner? Or an interior designer? I mean the framing is there..we may want to rearrange one room worth of framing but not the whole thing. So whose help do I need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

How easy is it to replace a front door? I'd like to get one that opens on the left rather than on the right that also has lots more insulation.

Where would I need to measure from, Will the whole frame come out? Who would I get to do this for me if I chicken out?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Thanks! Yeah that already looks outside my skill level, but it's good to know what I'd be getting into.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

When it warms up, I'm planning on attempting to build some wood pallet planters. Probably this one http://www.upcyclethat.com/vertical-pallet-planter/ But I got to thinking how nice it would look if I could tile it or otherwise affix rocks or granite chips to it. Is that feasible with just some mud, tile and grout? Or would I need some underlay like chicken wire? or just loving glue poo poo to it?

What do you think?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The internet is not the greatest place for paint chip viewing, but my two cents is this. your paint is to blue. That carpet is a very dark gray so having the walls anything darker than the lightest two colors on your paint chip will make your upstairs hall look like a cave. I would scrap that paint chip altogether and get some true grays to hold up next to it. A soft gray would also go with the light wood floor.

But gray is also a nice neutral so if you wanted to do different colors in the bedrooms it won't clash.