Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008
I have an issue with my bathtub. I looked through this topic and didn't see much regarding bathtubs so I suppose I'm the first to ask this, if not then I'm sorry.

For the past six months to a year (I haven't really been paying attention) my bathtub has begun to build up this ridiculous and disgusting amount of hair in the pipes. I can't figure out how to get rid of it now. I've poured bleach, drain cleaner, and backing soda + vinegar into the pipe yet it's not doing any good. The only temporary fix is to slid this barbed plastic cord down into the drain and slowly pull out globs of hair, as well as use a grate and clean the hair off that after every show. I'm convinced there has to be some way to clean this out. It's getting disgusting to the point that I don't even want to take a shower in there. In fact, if I set a cloth or soap or anything on the floor of the tub while water is running it'll be covered and coated in hair when I pick it up. Is there any chemical I can use to clean this out or something that doesn't require me to purchase new pipes, go under the house to fix the pipes, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderg
Feb 13, 2008

Fire Storm posted:

Liquid Plummer maximum strength gel or foaming gel works good. Let it sit for a half hour, then lots of water. If THAT doesn't work...

Air plunge it.

I tried chemicals, hell, I was about ready to rip apart the plumbing and scrape that crap out, but I used one of these (actually, the one I had was a 3 use disposable one), and it actually worked EXTREMELY well. One blast and the pipes were flowing free and clear. Actually, just try that first. Just make sure you plug up the overflow drain first.

I'm not sure if the air plunger will work because of the way my drain is designed.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img139/4275/dsc00446ld1.jpg

And I've used Liquid Plummer as well.