Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalRock
Feb 16, 2008

Now you know how we feel.
I don't really think this deserves it's own thread.

I have a house improvement idea that I think would make my house infinitely times less cramped. I'm kind of wondering though if maybe I'm doing more harm than good in terms of value of the house.

I live in a house that is 1200 sq ft. not including the finished basement (I don't know a lot about this stuff but I'm told it doesn't count even if the basement is finished). There are 3 bedrooms/1 bath in the upstairs area, and 1 bedroom and 1 bath in the finished basement.

Now, one of the bedrooms (bedroom C on the drawing below) is a very awkward shape, and not really good for anything but storage. I don't have a dining room right now and my dining area is a good portion of my living room space. I've made a quick MSPaint showing what I want to do but basically it's tearing out the wall between the hallway in front of bedroom C, and tearing out the closet and turning it into a dining room.

I guess my question is though, would that be devaluing my house because it's technically taking it from a 3BR house to a 2BR house (even if there is a very large "bonus" bedroom in the basement). Like I said I don't really understand anything about real estate value and would like your opinions before I start knocking down walls and such.

Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalRock
Feb 16, 2008

Now you know how we feel.

Sapper posted:

Doesn't look like any of those walls are load bearing, so that's not a problem. I'd say do it, but it will devalue your house. Unless you go down to the basement and put up drywall and carpet the floor(with plastic sheeting for moisture barrier), in which case you can frame in a few rooms and massively increase the value of your home.

It's not hard, just a lot of work. If I were in your shoes, I'd do it.

Just from what I've been able to gather just from walking around in the attic and by the basic look of the plan I don't think any of the walls are load bearing. But I have one of those friend of a friends that happens to be a structural engineer and said he'd give me a good deal on his expert advice if I decide I want to do it.