Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Sorry if this is not DIY-ish enough..

Our shower stall is rather dark and I would like to add some light to it, preferrably a 4" incandescent that can be put into the side wall. I checked Home Depot for water-proof trims and found something suitable. However, the lamp housing that goes with it is HUGE and unwieldy. I was looking for something that does not require access to the other side of the wall but can be mounted solely by making the 4" cut inside the shower (and wiring going up into the attic).

My next approach was just adding one of those battery operated LED lights. Well, turns out they are not very waterproof. :-(

Any recommendations for simple ways to get some light in there ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

kid sinister posted:

Are you trying to electrocute yourself? Put it higher than the wall.
If you already have access to the attic, then get yourself a waterproof can light that you can mount directly in the ceiling. Make sure you get one designed for a shower!
I am torn between Huh? and Duh!
Obviously I am looking for something that is waterproof, at the same time I don't want to deal with joists in the wall or ceiling. Something like a pool light is what I had in mind.

Link not working.

Thanks, Richard Noggin. The ThinkGeek version is a bit over the top, but apparently Silvania has two products: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJZGB2 and http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJZGB2

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
We just bought a house. The home inspection revealed a leak with water dripping behind the kitchen's drywall. Based on thermal imaging, part of the drywall and the studs have soaked up the water.
The seller fixed the leak, removed pieces of the drywall, but then unfortunately closed it up again quickly.

Is there a point in me making a small hole and blowing warm air in to help ventilate the area and dry out any remaining moisture or will that do more harm than good ?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Some more details. Here are the images from the inspection :

Here's the section they removed and replaced:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Will do. Thanks a lot grover & slugworth !

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I have this type of wide hammock stand sitting in my garage:

..and would like to convert it to a tall/narrow hammock chair like this (though U-shaped instead of C-frame) :

Basically going from a wide \__/ shape to a narrow U. The pipes are ca. 1-3/4" diameter steel and simply slide into the 45 degree elbows. If I had two matching 45 degree elbow pieces then this would be an easy task, but alas my local hardware stores do not carry anything in a matching size. The closest I could find was galvanized steel pipe at 2" which is too wide and 1 1/2" which is too small. Any ideas ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Fun with termites:
we are in the process of selling our house and had pest control companies come by showing us all the places that need fixing. One inspector recommended injecting their chemicals and then having a carpenter replace the damaged lumber. This has me confused; if the lumber will be thrown out anyway, why bother with the injection first ?

Is it customary for termite companies to only do their fumigation? That sounds like it only fixes half the problem.. at rates that made me go :wth: nonetheless.