Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GeeVeeBee
Oct 17, 2008

by DocEvil

ZeeBoi posted:

What's the best thing to use to fill a hole around a pipe that goes into a wall and also can stop noise passing through?

Some sort of expanding foam, perhaps? Something I can get at home depot?

Would the hole on the other side of the wall have to be filled up for extra effectiveness?

I can't stand listening to my neighbour blabbering on vent or xbox live or whatever the gently caress he's doing. My bedroom wall borders on his dining room/living room area. And he's not really being loud, but it's annoying when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Do you own the property in question or do you rent? That sort of dictates what you can do.

Until then get some of these

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeVeeBee
Oct 17, 2008

by DocEvil

ZeeBoi posted:

I rent. I guess if it's not something I could do myself with the foam I'd have to bug the landlord.

Don't use foam. Expanding foam sealant is messy and a bitch to get off of basically everything.

You can do something with it, it just means your solution has to be non-permanent, non-damaging, and safe. By safe I mean like if the pipe is a steam pipe for a radiator packing the area around it with something that doesn't care for heat is probably not ideal.

Anyone in DIY can walk you through a something as basic as "A sheet of loving plywood" to actually building a fitted nice-looking removable facing backed with sound insulation.

Post pics and it will help people think about the solution spatially.

----------------

GeeVeeBee
Oct 17, 2008

by DocEvil

ZeeBoi posted:

Story of this hole:

When I moved in I found out my neighbour loves pot. The goddamn stench of it got into my room by way of that hole. A combination of my first landlord stuffing some poo poo into the hole plus numerous requests for the neighbour to open his window when he smokes fixed that.

Then later on, the pot smell came back, so my second landlord had a guy come in who did actually spray in some foam, and then they stuffed that black stuff back into the hole.

So now I still hear him, quite clearly, as if he were in my living room.

My lease renewal is actually coming up, and I'm gonna tell them I'll only renew if they properly sound proof that hole (and fix another unrelated issue).

Well having the landlord do it would be best. You can either make them do it, or do it yourself. Hell, maybe they'll comp for your materials and time. My suggestion if you want to DIY in a not ugly way:

Alright, that's a gross hole. You have a gross hole. Congratulations on your gross stuffed-up hole that's all surrounded by a filthy matted carpet and penetrated by hard steel pipe.

Aaand it's a radiator pipe. So, congratulayions on your hot sweaty gross plugged-up filthy matted hole. Your corner is like the self-loving crotch of a filthy transvestite prostitute.

Vacuum your carpet and wash your walls. Get all that black poo poo and everything else out of there. Clean your hole. Clean it. Keep your hole clean. Get the carpet as far away from your workspace as you can so you do not get a rash. Run the vacuum around again.

Get a piece of acoustical insulation board and a piece of drywall, layer them together with adhesive or tack them with fasteners. Shape them in two sections to fit tightly around the pipe inside your gross steamy hole.

Now follow these instructions on how to get the patch in up to step three. Stop there.

Then get some fire-resistant foam cord or fire-resistant foam weatherstripping in the appropriate size to stuff into what space is left between the sweaty steamy hard steel pipe and your freshly patched hole. Stuff that hole. Stuff it. Stuff it. Stuff it up real good.

Then you'll want some variation of a two-piece pipe trim collar to mask the meeting between pipe and drywall patch. Poke around at a hardware store; explain what you want, the staff will probably point you to it. Affix trim collar. It protects the chastity of your hole.

Proceed with step 4 of the drywall patching instructions: spackle, sand, and paint.

Gonna want a screwgun and a countersink. Everything else you'll want for sealing up your nasty hole real tight, oh yeah, is either listed in the drywall patching article or listed above.

Now here's the hitch: that's a radiator pipe, so everything you use needs to like, not loving melt and catch on fire when exposed to heat.

----------------

GeeVeeBee
Oct 17, 2008

by DocEvil

nemesis07 posted:

I've got a lease on a house that will begin in August, and I will be sharing the house with 4 other dudes. It was meant to be a single family home (3bed/2bath) and has three large living rooms, one of which I intend to turn into a bedroom. The agent leasing the house to us said that was fine, but I'm really unsure of how exactly to put doors in without doing permanent damage to the woodwork. I figure it would probably be easiest to install only one door, and simply block off and soundproof the other opening with a temporary wall. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or any recommendations for how I can get some privacy without losing my security deposit?

The one idea I had, which I'm totally unsure of the viability of, is to build a frame inside of the frame, separating it with a quarter inch of foam or something, then installing a door inside of that frame. However, I don't know how structurally sound that would even be.

Sorry for the lovely quality, but I took these with my phone while checking out the house, they weren't taken with the intent of showcasing the doors specifically, but hopefully they show the general setup. On the door shown on the left, there's about a quarter inch between the bookshelf and the frame that is not visible. Both doors are relatively clear on the other end, one opens into a hallway, the other into a kitchen.

Any advice would be much appreciated

edit: I'm just gonna link the image, cause it's pretty big.
http://i41.tinypic.com/k1cb54.jpg

Yes, it should be feasible and yes, frame-within-frame is one way to go for temporary partitions your big thing in terms of damage will be fastening your temporary walls/doorframe to the passageway frame and floor.

Ask your landlord / agent who "said that [it] was fine" what you can get away with sinking into the woodwork in terms of screws and anchors

... and that will dictate what you can do to build what you want.

That it is necessarily temporary makes me inclined to think of what you describe more as set-masking problem than a construction framing and installation problem, so check out:

http://www.amazon.com/Backstage-Handbook-Illustrated-Technical-Information/dp/0911747397

for how to actually go and build and hang the walls and door

----------------