Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

creationist believer posted:

Am I thinking about this right? Should I head to Home Depot tomorrow or does anyone suggest something different?

Hit up garage sales tomorrow and get a whole bunch of clamps for $6. Then you can do whatever you want. I think getting a few 1x2s or 2x4s and nailing them together so you can put 6 clamps or so per side on the railing would work out best. It's best not to engineer something like this; just put it together and when it fails, add more clamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

devnull420 posted:

What's the best way to hook this up? I was thinking of just cutting it right in the center, stripping off a little more insulation, and putting all three wires (the one from the switch plus what is now two wires) into the nut, but I don't think they'll all fit.

I was thinking of just hooking up another short piece of wire to the loop and then running that into the nut with the wire from the switch, but then the question is hooking it onto the loop the proper way.

This. Cut the loop. Connect a wire to the 2 ends you just made with a wire nut. Get a bigger wire nut if you have to (probably a red one).

If your dimmer has a ground wire, it probably needs it to operate. Connect it and the bare wire together with a bare piece of wire and screw that into the back of the box. It's hard to tell, though; if the box is plastic, just connect the uninsulated wire to the ground wire on the dimmer.

I hate it when people loop wires. It's so very very lazy.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Local Yokel posted:

I have one of these and find many, many uses for it. How are you supposed to get the plug out when you're finished? I was sawing some old painted 3/4" plywood with it recently, and had to stop after each one and hammer the plugs out with a tiny screwdriver from the back, or splinter the thing out from the front. It was a big pain, there must be an easy and clever way to do it.

With wood, you get some 3" wood screws and drive them into the front. That pops the plug out. The other thing you can do is spin the hole saw off the arbor and hammer the plug out from the back; that's what I have to do when putting holes in metal. I do a LOT of hole sawing and nobody I work with has ever come up with a more clever way of getting metal plugs out than "spin the saw off and hammer the plug out with a screwdriver."

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dominoes posted:

Crosspost from A/V arena: I want to build a 2x12" guitar speaker cabinet, and have a question about table saw use. I need a length of 32 inches for one of the cuts, but my table saw ripfence only goes to 25.5 inches. What should I do? I've thought of two things: Have Home Depot cut it and use a circular saw. If Home Depot fucks up the cut by even a little bit, it won't fit together. I've tried and failed to get straight cuts with a circular saw.

Brainstorming: I need pieces that are 32x12" and 32x23"(not counting in adjustments to make them fit together). I buy a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood. I have Home Depot cut it into 4 36” x 24” sheets and 2 24” x 24” sheets, using three cuts. I put the scrap wood against the rip fence. So when I'm making the large pieces, I use the 36 x 24 cut sheets, have 4" against the rip fence and 32" on the other side. The other side cut would be the real one, and the piece against the rip fence would be scrap Would this pose any safety issues? Can I use the miter gauge somehow?

Don't trust home depot to make precision cuts. Get a straight piece of something and clamp it to your board to use as a fence for your circular saw.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I saw some professional tile installers put level marks in a 40x40 room with convoluted edges this way. The tile comes out really nice; perfectly level around corners and into the hallway.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

csammis posted:

For applying caulk, I prefer the little rounded plastic tool that is sold next to the caulk / caulk guns at hardware stores. Using your finger works, but it can also generate a ridiculously huge mess on any tools or surfaces you touch accidentally.

Pampered Chef nylon scrapers are the perfect tool for this. They've got two different radius corners for rounding and a sharp corner for getting stuff off of where it shouldn't be.

The people applying all the caulk on all the windows and doors at the new middle school I'm working on used super-cheap plastic knives (like the ones in the picnic section at the grocery store) and got FABULOUS beads with them; but they do it 10 hours a day for weeks at a time to get that good.

Also, read the directions on your caulk if you're going to be painting. Some say to paint after 30 minutes and within 24 hours, some say to wait 24 hours to paint. Some say to use latex or oil paint, some say to use only water-based paint.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rogetz posted:

Sooo the knob on my shower is stuck, which means that I can't turn the water off. I shut off the supply to my unit so there's no concern of it overflowing, and hopefully the landlord will actually get the message that I left him soon. Any idea what I can do short of calling a plumber? I'm worried about breaking it if I force it too much.

Force it. It's not like it's going to get any more broken. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Chinaski posted:

Thanks to the two answers above. I guess I'll try it out to see how it works and consider alternatives in the meantime.

Brazing is an identical process using a metal that melts at a higher temperature and is typically stronger.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hey santa baby posted:

Anybody know what this little gadget is called in English, and where one would go to get one? You use it to make little tapered pilot holes for wood screws. Yesterday I tried to explain this to some dude at Lowe's, but he had no idea what i was talking about.

It's called a gimlet. You can get them at woodworking stores; they're fairly specialty items now that everyone has electric drills with quick-change collets.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Xenomorph posted:

How do I hook up my ice maker?

I can't find any online guides with pictures, and the Ice Maker Install Kit I purchased has NO PICTURES of the hose hookup.

Any suggestions/help?

As a Not A Plumber, I suggest getting a small valve, a barbed tee that fits all those hoses, and four hose clamps. Put the valve on the incoming water line, then a short section of hose from the valve to the tee, then both of those hoses on the tee. Tighten hose clamps, see where the water sprays from.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Comrade Milton posted:

I have many neobdynium(sp?) magnets with a pull force each of about 7 pounds which I'm trying to glue to a box, one on a corner. I'm using UV-E3000 for the adhesive, but the force of the magnets necessitates the use of clamps, but the clamps, when applied, are not cooperating in a proper fashion and keeping the magnets where I want them.

Does anyone know of any tricks to do doing this? Are there non-reactant C clamps anywhere for purchase?
Try a clamp like this. Massive clamping force, mostly wood.

Xenomorph posted:

'm wondering if there was some electrically controlled valve that the 2 hoses went to that split and controlled things.

Maybe the idiot previous-owners broke something off.

I downloaded the manual for my fridge, and it shows some big metal contraption that you're supposed to hook the incoming water line to.

I'm thinking that I may need to visit a fridge repair place and ask them about a part for it.
The DIY spirit says spend the $10 before taking it to the repair place. The worst that can happen is that it can leak water. Make sure to use the valve and open it slowly, because I guess the REALLY worst thing that can happen is that it needs a regulator and you could blow something up inside the wall of your fridge.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

fast5c posted:

Posting this in the correct thread now per the rules.

I wanted to hook up a dimmer switch for the new baby's room.

House has three wires going to the current switch. White wire is on top, black wire is on the bottom and the ground is hooked to the screw the switch is held in place with.

Dimmer is a Leviton decora. It has four wires. Green and red wires out one hole and black and red wires out the other hole. The red wire with the black is labled for a 3 way switch.

What do I hook to what so I don't burn the dang house down? Thanks!

Since I saw the other thread first, I already answered. I think that thread is the correct thread for both this and the previous question, as the previous question is answered in the first post of that thread.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

If it's a decade old, the pipes are getting cold, you can hear fluid gurgling past your expansion valve, the outside unit is clean and its fan is spinning, call the HVAC company and get a new refrigerant charge put in. It's probably leaked out. Most people get a HVAC pre-start service every year that includes all of the above, and most HVAC companies charge $50-100 to do it. You can do all except recharging yourself, and that's really all the cost there is.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

blindjoe posted:

You also can't just rotate the motor because oil will now be in the wrong place. Find a free rusted out lawnmower off craigslist and take the engine off of it.

I wanted to convert a vertical shaft to horizontal (standard go-kart stuff) and it's really tricky. Building a new sump, etc. Most people suggest using a pair of pulleys and a V-belt to get the rotation, or just finding a motor with the correct shaft orientation.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ease posted:

Ahh but I want a honda tiller damnit. Maybe I can find a vertical shaft out someones cheap craigslist honda mower. It's actually a really old Agway. No idea who really made it but it looks like it's from the 60's or 70's and solid as you can get. Whole thing is made out of really thick plate.

Second question is what kinda HP is too much? I definitely want a 5hp but wonder if I need anymore? Doubt you could really overpower this thing. Gear case and tines are pretty loving beefy. It says 3.5 on it so I'm guessing it's original motor was on the smallish size.

I wouldn't go over 9hp. I used a 9hp tiller and if you hit anything, the engine is so powerful it will just rip itself out of your hands. Smaller motors will bog and hesitate.

I'd say 5-7, with 6.5 being a really common lawnmower size.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wuhao posted:

OK, so, I just got my appliances in, and I've hit a couple snags.

1. I was going to install the gas dryer, and laid everything out ready to run the gas line to it, and went to take off the gas cap... and then I found that the cap is in the shut-off valve so tight, that the whole valve wants to unscrew from the line before the cap comes off. Something about a highly combustible colorless gas makes me want to not proceed without asking questions, so tell me: am I loving something up here? Do I just need to use force, and maybe hold the shut-off valve in place while I try to rotate the cap?

2. I went to run the water line to the icemaker in my fridge, and once I got everything hooked up, I opened the valve and found that there is no water coming out. This is a newer house (2006), and we haven't had any other plumbing problems, so I'm guessing there's something stupid I'm missing. Any ideas?

1. The guy that installed it was also afraid of an explosive, colorless gas, so he used two wrenches to tighten the cap. You should do the same.

2. Follow the plumbing all the way back to where you do have running water. Something's not turned on or connected, or there's a blockage in the line/valve/etc.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Reed posted:

Is there a standard size bolt for affixing a lampshade to a lamp? If so, does anyone have an idea what size it is?

The lamp harp I just looked at appears to use a 1/4-20 bolt and decorative cap nut.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ease posted:

I need to make an air cannon that can be fired underwater. What kind of valve should I use for this? Is there a way to do it with a sprinkler valve like regular land based potato gun style cannons? It's pretty important that it doesn't fire off randomly.

If you use environmental (waterproof) splices, switch, and battery box, then the normal electric sprinkler valves should work fine submerged.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FamousThomas posted:

I have some projects where I need to stick metal to metal. A soldering iron doesn't work because everything need to be hot enough for that to happen. Is there something between a soldering iron and a welding torch I can use for small projects?

Brazing or silver soldering, usually with propane, MAPP, or air-acetylene.

Also, almost everyone will recommend JB Weld for most metal-to-metal sticking duties.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FamousThomas posted:

You guys were so darn helpful before I'll ask another question!

I'd like to do some drilling into metal but my little hand held drill doesn't seem to cut it. Do I need a special drill bit or is there a technique or some kind of god I need to make a blood sacrifice to?

When I try it just sort of spins and doesn't go anywhere.

Even with your somewhat dull HSS bit and especially with a new bit, a bit of cutting fluid goes a long way at prolonging bit life. Effective cutting fluids are: cutting oil, household oil (3-in-1), distilled water. Not effective cutting fluids are: used motor oil, WD-40, Dr. Pepper.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

daspope posted:

Sorry, I plan on making a clear six sided box with Plexiglas for the sides, and if possible soldered together. Or will I need to make a frame, screws or glue? As far as the strength of it, I want it to be able to hold it self together but I will not be putting weight on it.

Edit: Now that I think about it, could I just melt the edges/corners together?

Solder sticks metal to metal. Heat-welding plexi in a way that looks good is probably not possible at the amateur level, but I'd like to know a technique if it is. You want to use 2-part epoxy; it's like a glue, but incredibly strong.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The scary black thing is just a start capacitor. I assume the harness plugs into the receiver? If so, then the receiver probably controls the speed of the fan and the dropout time on the starting capacitor. This means it may not be easily replaceable.

I suspect the yellow and pink wires are the power to the fan, and connecting them one way makes it go one direction, and the other the other, but without a start cap in there, it may just stay still and hum until it catches fire.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kid sinister posted:

I wouldn't. Screw-in anchors have a tendency to crumble the drywall between their threads (esp. with older drywall), usually leaving whatever you hung on it broken on the floor and a 1/2" hole in your wall.

This is more an issue of old drywall vs new drywall. New stuff: threaded anchors, either nylon or metal. Old stuff: tap-in or toggle bolts.

There are also some anchors that work in old or new that work in a semi-toggle fashion, and work great in masonry as well, both hollow- and filled-block and brick.
Edit: The Hilti Quick-tog are the ones I've used. We used Hilti fasteners exclusively for a bit, and their plastic tap-in anchors aren't the best, but their plastic and metal screw-in (HFP and HSP, respectively) are top notch.

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 10, 2009

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Local Yokel posted:

Please, give me some ideas.

Put your screwdriver in there, put just less than too much torque on the screw, and tap the end of the screwdriver with a hammer. Keep the torque on, and increase the "taps" until they're fairly solid hits and you're about to do significant damage to the screw.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Local Yokel posted:

I'll try it when I get home today.

I've got a small hammer driver - will that kill it faster, or is it worth a try?

That will kill it so fast you'll never get a chance to stop.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ok. Have you been messing with it any? If so, there's some stuff you need to take off.

I'm guessing the relays are R1, R2, and R3, in that order.

That means the contacts should look like
code:
 R1   R1     (Coil contacts)
1R1  1R1  NO (Normally Open)
2R1  2R1  NC (Normally Closed)
3R1  3R1  NO
The yellow coming off the transformer is your 24VAC.

Hell, hit me up on AIM/ICQ/MSN/Yahoo (info in profile) and I can straighten you out, but it's way way too much work to scribble all over that pic with GIMP.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Yes, I intend B to always be connected to the origin. A should only be connected to the origin when the switch is closed. So far, so good - but how should I modify my connection if I never want A and B to be connected to each other?

Points A and B are IC legs, the origin is a +5V power supply. I'm modifying an electronic toy, and cool things happen when I connect the +5V to either of the IC pins, but the device crashes when the pins connect to each other :(

Stuff to try: but now with pictures.

First is a single-pole double-throw center-off switch.

Second is a diode.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hielonueve posted:

A/V Room Wiring -

Is pseudo-conduit a good idea? If so, can I use cold water PVC or something cheap like that for HDMI, coax, CAT5/6, RCA, etc. (no AC or real voltage)? I've got an old house with the plaster and lath pulled down and insulation up. I keep thinking it might be nice to run the wires either down to the floor or basement from behind where the flat screen will be. If they'll fit, I'll probably use two 45 degree elbows behind the TV and hopefully a T at the same height as the AC outlets and drop to basement. Thoughts?

(http://www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=456
It looks like there are a variety of wall plates for bulk wiring available but, I don't understand if people just pull the wires between insulation/vapor barrier and drywall or use some type of conduit...)

You're looking for Smurf Tube, AKA Electrical Nonmetallic Tubing. Easy rough-in, easy pulls. It comes in 1/2" and 3/4" trade sizes. I'm pretty sure HD and Lowes both carry it and its fittings; it'll probably be cheaper to run than plastic pipe of any other flavor.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Local Yokel posted:

gently caress! FLOOD!

My water heater was making a lot of noise, so I looked inside and it looks like it's out of salt. I turned off the water softener, and then hit the bypass valve behind the softener. Two hours later, there's water all over the floor. I think the water is coming from he drain in the wall that the washing machine and water softener drain into.

What happened? How can I fix it? Prompt answers would be appreciated.

There are typically two bypass valves on a water softener. Your bypass may be going into a drain that's never been used and is full of blown-off lint and spiders. Take the thing off bypass and run it without salt for a day. It won't kill anything.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Upright Sloth posted:

They show up as a lighter area, the unscratched wood is dark like in the middle of the circle. So, these are pretty shallow - I should be able to just buff them out? What's the best way to do that, like I said I've never done anything like this.

Mop-n-glow or whatever acceptable floor polish treatment will work on that finish. Mop-n-glow is pretty safe for most stuff, but "test on an inconspicuous area, note any discoloration," etc.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kid sinister posted:

No problem! Keep in mind that a galvanized coating only prevents rust where it is... If you cut that threaded rod, then those cuts won't have the coating and will rust.

But the stores sell a can of stuff called "cold blue" that's spray-on galvinizing that works OK for a couple of years.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bison wings posted:

hey guys, quick question that I don't think deserved its own thread: I want to rig my girlfriend's Christmas gift to shoot confetti when she opens the box. Is there a low tech way to manage this?

Mouse trap under a box of confetti.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

Since the hardwood runs right into the closets in all three bedrooms, I'm planning to start in one of the closets. I figure if I accidentally make a divot or gouge in one of them it won't be as big a deal.

Get way, way WAY more sanding drums than you think you'll need. Like, if the guy at the store estimates six, get 20. You can return them, and it's awful to run out.

Go with the grain. If the deck crawler doesn't get all the way to the edge, expect to spend the same amount of time doing the edges as you do the rest of the room. I sanded a 1200 sqft house in a day, as my wife did the edges. It was a lot of hard work, probably 12 solid hours of work sanding. The water-based poly did go down great; we used fans to dry the stuff in the recommended time and used 3 coats. It looked great when we were done.

I cannot emphasize enough: don't sand anything by hand that you can sand with a machine. Use the largest machine for as much as possible.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

I agree with Kid Sinister. A transformer isn't much more than a coil of wire... it shouldn't just 'die' after a year of use.

A light bulb is just a coil of wire, too, and they don't last a whole year if lit constantly.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. Maybe that's what's wrong? That's weird. Why design a system that wastes power for days on end, just to make a noise once a week or something? OK I give up, maybe it's actually designed that way for some reason.

They're designed in the 1920s when nobody cared about power usage.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

NickNails posted:

I have not. I just discovered this today and the office isn't open on weekends. I will be calling tomorrow morning to find out what to do. Most likely they will want a certified plumber to replace the valve.

If it's a small trickle, you can shove a piece of bread in the pipe. Old donuts work well, too. Once the valve glue sets, the water dissolves the bread.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Socratic Moron posted:

I'm utilize rainwater catchment as my source of potable water. Only problem is, we have acid rain here on occasion so our water is acidic. Home Depot has bags of crushed coral (calcium carbonate) and my thought is I can add it to the catchment system to help neutralize the water. Can this cause me any problems?

I don't think so. You'll get strange nitrates, nitrites, sulfates, sulfites, and carbonates in your water, but the pH will be OK.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Fox_Spy posted:

Now, as for the light fixture. Spent some time working on this, the inner ring definitely doesn't unscrew or anything. The outer ring turns a little bit. I can pull the inner ring down a bit on one side, but not on the other. Still can't seem to get into it though. I'm going to feel really stupid if I end up calling an electrician to change this bulb.

Edit: Forgot to add, went into the attic, that's a no go.
Man up and really pull on the inner ring. The springs are probably rusted all to hell. It's hard to irreparably break one of these, like you're afraid of. The glass is easily 1/4" thick and the springs are probably a half-inch wide. I used to demo these things out of school bathrooms all the time and throw those domes across the room to have them bounce around on the concrete.

If you break it, it needed replacing anyway. :)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bunnielab posted:

No magnetic tip man. I need that poo poo.

Also no top lip. I should have specified that as well.

A coworker still has one of the good Kobalt ones and today I offered him $30 for it and he refused. I now fear that I will never find it's equal.

EDIT: God I miss my loving tape measure.

I do either need a magnet or a top tab. I work as a rigging installer and really want to be able to measure between beams without having to move a lift and that poo poo is frustrating as hell without a magnet.

Klein makes a tape like that; I've only seen it at electrical supply houses. The package says 8' standout but one of my coworker's will stand 12' no problem.

He also has one of the new Kobalts; he had an old one until the magnet fell out, and Lowe's couldn't replace the tape with an identical model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wreckus posted:

I'm installing a hottub, the previous owner has taken care of most of the work. They installed the 240v circuit in the breaker box and ran conduit underground to the hot tub pad where it terminates inside of the hottub body. The only problem is that they did not install a GFCI.

Not wanting to die a horrible electrical death while trying to relax after a hard day's work I went ahead and purchased the GFCI and a box to house it in. The only "problem" is that I need to tap into the existing conduit.

Is it as simple as cutting the conduit in half, installing a T junction and then plopping the GFCI on the bottom of the T and then running the wire from Breaker -> GFCI -> Hottub?

I'm having an electrician do the work so that I'm up to code, I just want to make sure that my master plan is sound.

Return the GFCI (outlet, I assume) and buy a GFCI Breaker for your breaker box. Done.