Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've got an old Smiths 60-minute timer that seems like it should be possible to fix but I've no idea where to start - there must be a community or helpful site out there but looking for anything with "old timer" in it is pretty much not helpful. So if anyone happens to know of anything that might be helpful, I'd appreciate it. (Already found a site or two with a bunch of historical information on the manufacturer but zero technical stuff.)

(Not my picture but it's the same model.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PremiumSupport posted:

Do you have a model number?

Nope. No patent number or date, either. All I know it's a "Smiths timer" manufactured in Great Britain by "English Clock Systems" and imported into Finland by Instrumentarium (it has a sticker on top).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you're building a retaining wall out of cinderblocks will it really matter because in five years it'll start toppling anyway?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonoMan posted:

it was actually an outdoor space covered over and converted to an interior room

Like, dude, all rooms are that. :2bong:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not really a DIY question since I don't do it myself but I've been watching a lot of youtubes where people do do it themselves and - excuse me if this is a drat fool question but - why do many of them always first use rust remover, then file and sand, and then sand-blast? Seems to me they could just skip to sand-blasting, especially since every now and then there's a "there was still some rust visible after blasting so I did it again" situation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want a sheet of thin plastic, just go to a plastic store and ask for a sheet of thin plastic. Just make sure to get one with protective film on both sides if you don't want it to come pre-scratched.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a "plastic store". Is there some other term I can search by? I mean, Home Depot has a few plexiglass sheets, but their prices are absurd and they also stop at 1/8" thick.

I'm sorry I can't help you there but if this city has one I'm sure there's one near you. (On the off-chance that you're in Finland, go to Etra/Etola.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I want to say thanks to the goon that recommended I seek out a local plastics store for materials to protect my "gaming table" TV. It cost me most of an hour's worth of driving round-trip, but they had 1/32" polycarbonate that they could cut to order; the best online shopping could get for me was 1/16", for more money and the risk that the sheet would break in transit.

It's so easy to forget that on-line shopping is actually bad and not good, nowadays. I tried to find a particular bakelite pencil sharpener* for a reasonable price on-line for ages. Then I popped into the stationery department of a local book store for the first time since maybe 2005 and they had it for a few euros (and obviously no shipping costs).

*) obviously not a pressing need but still

E: the sharpener is made out of bakelite, not the pencils

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

Bakelite/things made out of it are still being produced?

Well I said bakelite because a lot of on-line stores are trying to flog it off as "genuine vintage bakelite sharpener from 1930" even though it's still being made. Apparently it's a material they call Duroplast https://www.standardgraph.com/pdf_kataloge/dx_dux_2019.pdf

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Does an ozone-creating-thingamabob damage refrigerator seals? Or, rather, does ozone?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Motronic posted:

a residential ozone generator

:laffo: yeah nah this is the Real Deal. I don't know if any ozone generators available here are rated for use with people around.

But I guess I'll just use it on the shelves and drawers. Need to build some sort of OZONE SARCOPHAGUS to put in the yard I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

An O zone, if you will?

:frogout: (of my O zone)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

There's no evidence it even does anything to fix smells other than masking them

What more do you want?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If a painter leaves some big sheets of OSB (used to cover the windows when he took the panes away to be painted) in your garage for two years, is it OK to just consider them yours?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm at an AirBNB in Berlin and we (s/o and I) got our clothes stuck in a top loading washing machine. It's a Siemans Siwamat 1370 TopSpeed. Whenever we turn it on there are suspicious buzzing noises and the door lock is latched shut whenever we try to open it.

The key words here is top loading. All the youtube videos I've found are for front loading units, and I have no loving clue what to do. We're thinking about calling a plumber, but our damned host is away and not responding to anything, so we don't even have permission to tamper with anything.

This situation is bullshit and we need help. Didn't know where else to post this :/

Is the tap open?

e: Oh didn't read gud.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

melon cat posted:

Any suggestions for quickly and cheaply filling in this cracked window? It's more than a crack. Has a good gap between shards. We're getting this window completely replaced but it can't be done until January, and until then it'd be nice for this room not have this room leak out all the heat and turn into an igloo.

Tape. Oh someone said tape already. But anyway January is three months away. Tape both sides if you can, obviously.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 3, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Now would be good, since that is a relativey recent (i.e. sharp edges visible) displaced crack in a foundation wall.

I mean, if you want to see how quickly it's moving, throw some duct tape across it on at least three spots.

Duct tape is flexible though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

just don't store them in your kitchen, years of thorough reading of those little packets have led me to believe they are not good if you eat them.

He's not going to store the dangerous packets, just the delicious silica.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Is there like, a lever or something you can use for a screwdriver then? Cause those are pretty loving stuck on there.

And no, I'm not turning the wrong way.

Grab the shaft with pliers? Or if it has a nut on the end, use that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm also miffed that insolated ducts are only in 25' sections...I only need like 10 to 15.

That's weird. 3 metres is the standard here.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

Any chance that you can pick up another lock and use the cylinder with your existing hardware?

Well unless it's all artisanal and custom-made (or obsolete), the lock shouldn't know one cylinder from another.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Post a drat pic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there any meaningful downside to cleaning stuff with vodka instead of isopropanol? Because I need to clean stuff and I have vodka but I sure as heck don't have any isopropyl alcohol lying about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never used an induction stovetop, but apparently it fixes that problem with electric ranges. On the flipside, you need compatible cookware.

I'm not American so I've never seen a gas stove anyway, but I don't think I've seen any consumer-priced cookware that wasn't compatible with induction stoves in shops in the past 10-15 years :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Just recently moved to a house with an electric stove for the first time in my life. It's a bit slower to heat up, but otherwise seems fine? Also seems to heat larger pans a little more evenly, but that might be in my head.

Don't worry about it, gas stoves are the fedora of the kitchen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you want to heat up something metal without burning adjacent material, couldn't you use a soldering iron instead of a blowtorch? (I have no idea, hence the question mark.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK this might be a drat fool question and possibly better answered somewhere else but:

can I detach metal dust from a magnet by using a more powerful magnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Well how are you gonna get it off the more powerful magnet?

By putting a sheet of paper in between, as I should've done originally.

e: I found an obvious solution: tape :doh:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 17, 2020