Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Hello goons, about twenty minutes ago my oven began making a loud ticking noise and spontaneously trying to turn itself on. I think it is alive.

Seriously though I've got some kind of Maytag gas stove in an old-rear end NYC apartment. Today it started making a constant clicking noise from somewhere in the, uh, top back bit (where the display screen and buttons live). This went on for about ten minutes, then stopped. The stove has since been occasionally, spontaneously activating the 'set timer' screen for the broiler.

I figure this is some kind of electrical issue. I haven't tried anything yet (like resetting the breaker or even unplugging the stove and plugging it back in.) Just thought I'd check to see if this was a known issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PainterofCrap posted:

Unplug it now.

I had a claim involving a range that started up spontaneously & locked itself into cleaning mode within an hour of the homeowner leaving for work (restaurant chef). It was January or February in Philadelphia, and brutally cold; when he came home twelve hours later, it was over 90-degrees in the house and the range was radiating like an active volcano. There was a fair bit of smoke (which is how I got involved) because he had stored 3 or 4 Revereware pans in the oven and the handles just...evaporated.

He called the fire department; they cut house power long enough to unplug it & shut off the gas.

Gotta hand it to Maytag; the unit ran for twelve hours at 500-degrees plus, and contained the inferno.

I had an engineer inspect it; he found a fault in the control panel. Which was a miraculous piece of probity, since the control head on the unit looked like a Salvador Dali sculpture.

Haha good bad news! I totally should've listened to you! The stove turned itself on to Low Broil and Low Broiled itself all night. No permanent damage but it made things very toasty.

I would unplug it right now BUT this is a pre-war NYC shitpile and the gas valve has been painted over so much I can't move it. Is it safe to unplug a gas range from the electricity if it's still receiving gas? I have only a lay understanding of stoves but what if there's some sort of Necessary Burnoff going on in there and by turning off the power I fill my apartment with trace gases and explode? :ohdear:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Have it unplugged, had the super over to take a look, he helpfully informed me that these gas valves are not meant to be turned by hand so maybe it's not actually stuck.

For now we're going to leave it unplugged except while cooking, the landlord will send someone over to check it out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

If you can't turn off the gas you should not actuate the valves in the literally a fire hazard stove. You should get a wrench and get that valve closed. Use a razor blade to cut off some paint and try to close it if you don't have someone out in the next day or two to fix it. If you called the gas company they would red tag that appliance, if the gas valve is nonfunctional they would red tag back to the next functional one.

Do not force the valve but it might need a little elbow grease.

Definitely won't use the stove! I'll take a crack (hopefully not an actual crack) at closing the gas valve.