Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

I'm not familiar with the type of thing I'm seeing.
First question: Is there a general lawn care thread I should actually be posting in? I didn't see one but I could've just missed it while scrolling too fast.

Second question: I have a patch of ground by my fence that once had grass but is now plain dirt/mud. The fact that my dogs obsessively run up and down the fence line trying to catch a glimpse of the dog next door means the grass probably won't grow back any time soon without extensive work on my part. With winter coming up, is it a good or bad idea to lay down some plywood (or other more suitable material) to cover up the dirt patch for now so my dogs aren't tracking a ton of mud into the house? Will this actually help, or just make everything worse? I fully admit to being clueless about anything lawn care related beyond mowing and edging every other week so it doesn't look terrible. Also, it's a rental property, so I'm not really inclined to put in a ton of work fixing a yard I probably won't be using in another year or two.

Any thoughts or redirects are appreciated. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

kid sinister posted:

You know, I swear we had one here in DIY ages ago...

Plywood would work, until they track mud from elsewhere on top of it. I wouldn't use one. You're going to smother and shade out the still living grass around it. Where do you live? You might still be able to get some grass seed started this year. If not, I would put down some mulch there for now. You can get a bag for under $3, it will help prevent erosion right there and you can fill any shape with it. Even if you forget about it for years, it will all rot away and make the dirt there better.

As for grass, how sunny is it right there? They do make high traffic mixes like this. I've used it before to fill in pet paths and had good results. It works best if you can keep the doggies out while the seeds get started. Maybe buy a roll of chicken wire and some bamboo stakes to hold it up? Also, how sloped is this area? You want grass seed to grow where you throw it down. Don't hose it down at full blast, just mist it. If it's sloped enough for rain to potentially wash it away, throw down some hay or even some grass clippings. Ask a neighbor for some if necessary.

I'm in the south, so it hasn't dropped below freezing yet, but keeping them off the area long enough for seeds to get started will be a really big challenge. The door to our backyard opens up right next to the part of fence line in question, and you have to walk down a narrow space between houses to get to what I think of as the actual back yard. So as soon as I open the door the dogs are right at the fence, running and sniffing and trying to see if the other dog is there. The smaller one is very determined to get close to the dog and chicken wire would not stand a chance. He could probably jump over it. I'm so lucky digging hasn't occurred to him yet.

The mulch is a good idea, though. The dirt patch is an irregular wedge shape so the ply wood would've had to overlap some grass to get full coverage.

Bad Munki posted:

Tear up the grass there, put down some landscaping cloth, put down some coarse (like 1.5") gravel as a foundation, put down some pea gravel as a top layer. Grass will not survive a pacing dog.

This is really helpful, thanks! I had no idea how to put gravel in properly, but I was pretty sure there was more to it than just dumping a bunch of rocks on the ground.

EDIT: If we wind up going with mulch for cost reasons, should we also lay down landscaping cloth? Or does that defeat the purpose of mulch?

DaChurl fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 8, 2016

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

Ok, so my kitchen faucet is loose. I watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56-f9UI1Zsw I went to inspect the handle to see what the screw head looks like, and the handle came off completely. There is no screw inside the handle. I can't even find broken pieces of an old screw.
So how do I go about finding the correct size of replacement screw? No idea on the brand or model of the faucet.

DaChurl
Nov 9, 2011

kid sinister posted:

You take the handle to the hardware store and find a set screw that fits those threads. Start with longer screws with heads on them, they're easier to work with just your hands. Find one that fits, look up its threading (probably #6-32 or #4-40), then find a set screw in that same threading that is long enough to completely fill the threaded portion of the handle yet doesn't poke through the handle surface. Keep in mind that the faucet stem will be filling that hole in center of the handle.

edit: since you're at the hardware store, pick up the tool to tighten in your new set screw if you don't have one.

Thank you!