Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

a forbidden love posted:

Question for the green-thumbs out there. I purchased a 2ft tall miracle fruit tree/plant that's not due to start fruiting for another two years. I recently re-potted to a bigger pot (about 2" bigger) after about 8 months with it and I used the recommended 50/50 sphagnum peatmoss and perlite soil. It's been a week and my ph readings are still about 7-6.5 which is not good. I've google searched ways to make the soil more acidic but I was hoping there was an expert here that could provide me a definite fix. It's too late to add sulfur to the base and I don't want to mess with the root ball or remove it from pot. Please help!

Also some of my leaves have red spots which I read are due to not enough water. Should I be worried?

Well, I don't know anything about miracle fruit trees/plants specifically, so take all of this with a grain of salt. Lots of precipitation (even artificial precipitation) can slowly lower the pH and create more acidic soil, and that will also help if you are having problems relating to not enough water. It's not a quick fix though as you just keep moistening the soil. You can add a bit of compost to it as decomposition tends to lower soil pH. If you want a really quick fix, you can try adding a tablespoon or two of vinegar to a couple litres of water. However, make sure you keep a really close eye on the pH if you try this as it is really easy to do it too quickly, lower it too much, or just screw up the soil balance in general. Honestly, creating a new soil mix that you test beforehand and know is acidic and removing some of the current mix without disturbing it too much is probably your safer course.

However, like I said, I don't know anything about caring for miracle fruit or what they might specifically like or if they can tolerate slightly less than ideal conditions (or even what their ideal conditions are), so that's just a very general guideline about lowering soil pH. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along who can help you in more detail :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU