Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy an in-line water filter/cooler for my office (25ish people), preferably one of the ones you just attach to an existing sink and they come up with an extra spigot. Any recommendations? Anything in particular I should look for or be wary of feature-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've got a kitchen sink where both sides are not draining. I've been plunging it for awhile, pulled up a bunch of debris while doing it, and used a shop vac to pull it out of the sink. I'm plunging one side at a time, and sealing the other side while I do it. Am I wasting my time continuing to try this? It definitely seems to be draining faster than it was when I started, but is it time to pull out the trap and pull out the snake, or might I finally bust through with the plunger if I continue?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Grab a bucket and take apart the trap.

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, pulling the trap off and cleaning it out should be like a five minute job, and with the aforementioned bucket, not even a terribly messy one.
Pulled both traps. Both were clean as a whistle. Sink still isn't draining. :argh:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Small, two-bedroom apartment, shared with a roommate; roommate and I--usually during the summer--have issues with the circuit that supplies the two bedrooms and one side of the living room/kitchen tripping. We run a couple of fans, a couple of computers, a couple of routers, and a TV set, so probably not all that surprising, though it only happens usually like once every couple of weeks or so. I don't think putting any of this stuff on a different circuit is an option (though it is something I will investigate). It's annoying losing a bunch of progress in a game, though; is there a good UPS we could get for home use? How much would you expect a small UPS to increase the power bill? Would a UPS substantially increase the likelihood of us tripping the breaker?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Small, two-bedroom apartment, shared with a roommate; roommate and I--usually during the summer--have issues with the circuit that supplies the two bedrooms and one side of the living room/kitchen tripping. We run a couple of fans, a couple of computers, a couple of routers, and a TV set, so probably not all that surprising, though it only happens usually like once every couple of weeks or so. I don't think putting any of this stuff on a different circuit is an option (though it is something I will investigate). It's annoying losing a bunch of progress in a game, though; is there a good UPS we could get for home use? How much would you expect a small UPS to increase the power bill? Would a UPS substantially increase the likelihood of us tripping the breaker?

Maybe this is relevant, but the breaker hasn't ever tripped while running the vacuum, even though the draw is heavier. Is that indicative of a bad circuit, rather than a load issue?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 7, 2019

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

If you're worried an outlet is bad then go methodically to each one and look for brown poo poo stains on the outside, and give your plugs a gentle giggle/rock right at the outlet (not the cord, the plug itself.) Listen for anything snap crackle or popping, or a distinct acrid smell. If you get any of those discontinue use of that outlet and call your landlord saying "One of my outlets is sparking and has a smoke smell I'm worried about a fire." They should have someone out by Monday at the latest if they're worth the rent you're paying. Are any of your plugs loose in their outlets? Are they snug in other outlets? The outlet could also be worn out but that shouldn't cause the breaker to go unless it's AFCI.

If it's wires inside the wall then it's going to be a fun game with your landlord where they replace the breaker because you've worn it out tripping it all the time but it doesn't fix the root cause.

The wiring and all the plates are fairly new (I want to say in the last ten years or so, but maybe before that); I haven't noticed any issues with them at all, but I'll check; some of them aren't in easy visual range.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm moving in a few weeks, and I have a door in my apartment that everything is going to need to go through that is in a really lovely position. It has some weird hinges on it that I don't want to break in an attempt to remove, and I'm not sure what to call them in order to Google them:

Is there an easy way to pull these? And/or what are they called? I think I may need something that fits the below hole:

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 26, 2020

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HycoCam posted:

Pull the metal pin out of the spring hinge to unload the spring before you take off the hinge. Not a huge spring inside, but will make it easier. There should also be a spot for an allen wrench on the top of the hinge to adjust the tension. (Crank it down and slide the pin into the hinge.)
Yup, as soon as H110Hawk said "spring door hinge," I found a YouTube video detailing exactly that. I even have the allen wrench I need. Thanks!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm a loving dumbass, and broke the front glass on my oven in my apartment while I was moving out. Is my best bet to buy a new door for it and replace it, or is there a better way to get new glass in there?

EDIT: And what's the best place to order parts for it? Amazon?

Second Edit: And I can't even find a manual for the goddamn thing, may just have to suck it up and pay the rear end in a top hat maintenance guy to repair it. Kenmore 790.90102206, if anyone can find it?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Ask your landlord assuming they aren't some monster corporate apartment complex, but otherwise Google make model part and go from there. You probably want to pay for expedited shipping. It might be cheaper to replace the whole thing sadly.

They're a corporate apartment complex, but I wouldn't describe them as "monster."

Found the glass at AppliancePartPros.com, but it's $247 loving dollars. Replacing the whole oven probably isn't an option given that it's from 2013.