Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Having some HVAC problems of course in the worst heatwave of the year. The furnace is about 5 years old and it's a Guardian GG9S130D20MP11A. Not sure the model of the a/c unit outside, but that's working fine.

The indoor blower, however, will only stay running for about 15 seconds after startup and then will cycle off and on for 15-30 seconds at a time. It does the same thing if you put it on "FAN ON" mode at the thermostat. I tried running the system on HEAT, and everything appeared to function ok in that mode for about a minute or two.

We had an HVAC tech come out this morning since I was out of town until about an hour ago, and he seemed confused by what was going on--typically, he said, the motor will either kick on or it won't, and the intermittent stuff is more likely when it's a faulty hi/lo sensor for the heat side and not on the A/C operation. His recommendation was to replace the blower motor, but since it's a beefy 1HP unit, the price including labor would be $1400.

I've been trying to google up a storm since I've been home, but I'm hitting some dead ends on finding my exact scenario. Does anyone have any suggestions

eta: is there anything wrong with replacing the motor with a generic Dayton one from Grainger? They carry 1HP, 120VAC, 4-speed motors in the same form factor for a fraction of the price ($240) plus I could go pick it up tomorrow.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sliding shelves? My grandparents had a big pantry cabinet in their kitchen when I was growing up that sounds about the same size as what you're describing, and that worked well for them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't remember if you said you did this already, but it's worth a quick vacuum around the gas ports. At my old house, a spider did a nice job of blocking up a couple of the nozzles so that the furnace cycled similar to what you're experiencing, though I'm pretty sure I was able to turn the blower motor on by setting the thermostat to the "cycle" or "fan" setting.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Speaking of thermostats, anyone have a recommendation for a decent programmable model? Our current programmable one seems like its temp sensor is messed up. It thinks the house is at 69 when it is really at 65 per three other temp probes, but it does so randomly so I can't just compensate but adjusting the desired temps. My wife and my schedules are pretty consistent so I don't really see how "smart" functionality would help us.

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 7, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Nope. It's on a wall with no direct sunlight and really nothing else near it. When I tested the temp, I set a little portable temp/humidity monitor directly on top of it and used both of my digital kitchen thermometers within a foot or two of the thing. All three devices except the thermostat agreed on the temp. It also felt much colder than 69 "should" have.

I don't remember the model off the top of my head but I'll look later tonight.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The Dave posted:

Of course the TV I want to mount is only passes over one stud for it to be centered in the wall. The mount wants you to bolt the rail into two studs. The TV is 40lbs, I was thinking it would hold up fine if the center hole was in a stud, and I used drywall anchors on the outside holes? Sound sane?

You could always cut a hole in the wall and install some bracing. I had to do this in our old basement that had lovely 60's paneling for walls so even heavy-duty anchors weren't really an option.

I use these drywall anchors whenever I want to mount something even moderately heavy: http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-Toggle-Lock-100-Pan-Head-Self-Drilling-Heavy-Duty-Drywall-Anchors-with-Screws-25-Pack-25320/100007784

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Plywood screwed over doors or windows makes it look like abandoned property?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Had some heavy rainstorms over night and this morning, and I heard a steady drip-drip while eating breakfast this morning. Went into the dining room to discover water dripping from the trim around the window. This is a first floor window on a two story house, water was coming in at the top of the window near the corner, and the outside of the window was bone dry (there's a big overhang on the front porch, see the pic below). I'm guessing this means there's a roofing failure of some sort here. Is there anything I can check, verify, or do before I call out a roofer to look at the situation? If some water has gotten in the walls this way, am I okay with having the roof repaired but not tearing out drywall and insulation?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:pwn:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol internet. posted:

Need to mount a 3 pound picture - nail or screw with a drywall anchor? I assume I don't need to hit a stud given the weight.

Need to also mount a 5 foot mirror, probably about 30 pounds. I assume a screw to a stud for this? How long of a screw?

I'd go with a drywall anchor for both.

For heavier items such as that mirror you mentioned, I use these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-Toggle-Lock-100-Pan-Head-Self-Drilling-Heavy-Duty-Drywall-Anchors-with-Screws-25-Pack-25320/100007784

Maybe overkill for 30 pounds but they make different sized ones I think.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

lol internet. posted:

Is that metal anchor suppose to go into a stud or just drywall?

Just drywall. It's like a heavy-duty toggle bolt.

e: here's a good picture showing how they look installed:

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 5, 2017

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

How the hinges are mortised out possible? If it's a typical bifold with the hinges mounted on the surface though then I think you'd be fine.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You should be able to lightly sand, primer and then paint.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My sump pump line just runs out the side of the house and then above ground. It's 1-1/2" or 2" corrugated black plastic HDPE pipe. I want to bury this line this spring, but I'm not sure what the appropriate materials would be and how the line should end. My yard slopes down gradually towards a big prairie, and the current hose runs from my house to there.

Do I use 3" or 4" HDPE, or do I need to use PVC for the buried line? Perforated or not? Gravel in the trench? Dry well at the end?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Looking for a little advice/confirmation on my options for a whole-home humidifier. Right now, I think I need something like the Aprilaire 700 series powered humidifier that doesn't need a leg running back into the ducting.

My issue is that there's not really any room to mount a humidifier on the supply side, and even if I mount it on the return side, there's no room to run ducting back into the supply.

Here's a pic of the Aprilaire 700 unit

Here's my ductwork

And a close up of the supply side showing how little room there really is

It doesn't show up well in the photo but the gap between the return and supply plenums is only maybe 3"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

devicenull posted:

It sounds like you probably want a steam humidifier instead, like the Aprailaire 800.

What are your current humidity levels now? Depending on your climate, you might be better off air sealing the house, rather then adding a humidifier.

In the winter, very low, 20% maybe. I'm in the Chicago suburbs so plenty of natural gas heating throughout the winter.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Great time for furnace problems!

Three times in the past 24 hours, we've had the four-blink limit switch error code on our furnace. The furnace is running pretty heavily because it's so cold. Filter is only a couple weeks old so I'm not sure what's triggering it. The switch doesn't seem to be resetting unless I go turn power to the furnace off and then on, then it'll heat right up like normal.

It's a guardian 95% efficiency furnace, if that makes any difference

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What's the best drywall joint compound and tape for hanging and taping about 25 sheets in a basement?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Was just trying to price out materials but the guy's bringing his own tomorrow. Was going to hang the sheets myself originally but his price was worth it, never ever ever considered actually mudding and sanding myself!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Welp just found a roof leak around my bathroom vent.

Slow drip from the fan cover. Went up into the attic to see exactly where it's coming from. Forgot to bring my phone, but the roof deck plywood on the downslope side of the exhaust vent cap is wet for about 1' where it then drips down onto the fan housing and runs down into the bathroom. Luckily, it's only a tiny bit of insulation that was wet and it's not touching the drywall.

Is this something I can hopefully fix with some caulk when it stops raining and I can get out on the roof?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Mr Executive posted:

I'm building a deck (Madison, WI) and I'm having trouble researching one thing (sorry if this isn't the right thread). The deck is very simple in that there's just a single beam parallel with the ledger board. The joists are attached to the ledger with hangers, but they just rest on top of the beam. My question is if/how exactly I need to secure the joists to the beam. Toe nail them? Hurricane straps? Every joist, or just some of them? Thanks

Check out Simpson products

https://www.strongtie.com/solutions/deckcenter

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

MrOnBicycle posted:

What would be the quickest and most effective way to pull up a terracotta tile floor? There is no need to save any of the tiles as there has been a small water leak going on and they are pretty much all ruined. I guess hammer and chisel is the standard method. Maybe pull in an airline and use an air hammer?

Rent a demolition hammer

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

B-Nasty posted:

Rollers covers are disposable. It's not worth the effort or water to try to wash it off.

That's why they sell roller covers in multi-packs. Obviously, the handle/frame itself can be wiped down and reused.

It's not hard to clean them if you've got one of those five in ones, and they leave a little bit better finish after the first use knocks down a little bit of lint.

Only use them 3-5 times though

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cut the nozzle very fine, wear nitrile gloves (of you can get ahold of them), and use dish soap and water to wet your finger to smooth out the caulk line. It's always worked well for me for the water soluble stuff.

For silicone in wet areas I lay down painters tape to get crisp, controlled lines

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Should be straight forward. Just make sure you note what color wires are landed on which terminal on the back of the nest so you can match it to a new "dumb" thermostat.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

B-Nasty posted:

They are standardized, but not always correct. Best to always take a picture of how the old one is wired (or draw a diagram) before ripping the wires off.

Even better, go down to the furnace and see if you can remove a panel to see where the wires connect into the main control board. The terminals on that board should be labeled, and that is the ultimate source of truth. Just match terminal to color on both ends.

Unless there is a splice buried in the wall somewhere and they crossed the colors!

This happened at my brother's last place

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

So Chicago area had a deracho storm blow through a couple of days ago, and a microburst exploded a big cottonwood tree in the back of my yard. Some pretty sizable limbs broke off, maybe half of the crown in all. Problem is, this cottonwood is surrounded by shorter pine trees, and the large branches are now all hung up in the adjacent trees. These limbs are probably 12-15" thick where they broke off, maybe 20' long. They look like they're wedged in place pretty solidly, but who knows when the pine trees will give and they'll fall.

Is there any way to safely remove these limbs myself? Or is the only real option to call in a tree service/arborist?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

full-blown industrial access control with 2fa credentials at every door and badge-in/badge-out

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Are there any good statistics or testing for how long cedar lasts versus pressure treated?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

clover is good though :confused:

bees love it and it puts nitrogen back into the soil

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

couple small kitchen cabinet questions - mine are framed cabinets with maple doors

1) the doors have these little rubber nub things, presumably to dampen the noise. On one cabinet they work really well, but on most of the others it's quite loud when you close the door. When I compared the two, the nubs are both in a similar position, and both touch the frame when closed. I'm not sure why this is happening, because in both cases, due to the rubber nub things, the door itself doesn't appear to touch the frame, i.e. it's not like the nubs are positioned too far from the corner that they just miss the frame completely. I can take a short video if it's helpful.

2) I was thinking about getting my doors and the frame painted, or just getting new doors and putting them in. Is there any way to create a more "frameless" look with framed cabinets? I was thinking about getting doors that had a larger overlay (mine is 1/2"), but I don't think that works on the hinge side. I wish there was some sort of magical hinge that let the door cover the whole frame.

This is definitely possible, did it about two years ago. It requires a whole lot of careful measurements and re-measurements. It really helps if you have CAD and are at least somewhat proficient at it. I definitely would have messed up some of our measurements without fully modeling it all out. You also need to consider adding some additional face frame for an area where two doors are going to open back-to-back, sharing a face frame, if you're trying to keep doors the same size across a certain area. I could take a picture of what I'm talking about because I'm sure that description is clear as mud.

Used these hinges (or similar) with the appropriate overlay for each door.
https://www.cshardware.com/blumotion-compact-39c-1-1-2-overlay-face-frame-hinge.html

For doors, we got simple raw wood shaker panels with maple frames and MDF inserts (since we were painting, not staining) from here:
https://www.cabinetdoorsdepot.com/

Everything came out exactly as I dimensioned it down to the 1/16 or 1/8".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

thanks, yeah do you have a picture of how your doors look and how the hinge looks inside?

My overlay is 1/2", and the frame is exposed about an inch on each side, so 1.5".

This is all stuff I would hire out, basically I got an estimate of 3500 to paint my kitchen cabinets, along with the bathroom vanity and linen closets.

As a comparison, I used cabinetdoors.com, I think the pricing i similar to the site you listed, and it came out to like 2200+shipping for shaker doors and slab drawer fronts that were already sanded and painted, and that would include the blum soft close hinges and the holes pre-drilled. When I got an estimate to do the remaining work of painting the frame, the total cost was a bit higher than the 3500 for just redoing my current setup.

But what I really want being a fan of modern design is the frameless type. Is Ikea good for this? afaik their installation prices are pretty affordable.

In this admittedly very small sample, it seems to be HIGHLY dependent on where in the world you live, for some reason

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-much-do-ikea-cabinets-cost-22937460

Another question for you, I don't think I can get away with this, but is it possible to just remove the face frame without damaging the structural integrity?

front view

inside view

Note the screw in the face frame - is this for holding the face frame onto the cabinet frame?

Here's an imgur album of some of my cabinets, including what they door/drawer face used to look like. I apology for the hideous tile floor.
https://imgur.com/a/xIGHpkd

That screw looks to me like it's holding that cabinet securely to the one next to it so they're nice and snug.

Our friends did a (very small) Ikea kitchen a few years back and were happy with it. I think when were considering pulling all the cabinet boxes rather than just refacing, we were looking at maybe $2k for refacing/painting (with us doing the labor) versus more like $15k just for cabinets from Ikea, plus another $8-10k for countertops, a few thousand for install, and then while we're at it the flooring is horrible so...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

Thanks! Yeah that is exactly what I'm looking for. My frame width on each side is 1.75" :/

Is your frame width on each side 1.5" I assume?

1.75" for mine, too!

quote:

Also before I even bother, does Ikea even work if your current setup doesn't conform to the exact dimensions of what you have currently? For example they have tall linen units that are 80" and 90", but mine is 87", and obviously only another unit of the exact same size would fit.

You could probably go with the 80" cabinet in that case and then use a filler panel at the top? Like this but horizontal instead of vertical.

Ikea had a nice layout tool on their website you could play around with

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sorry if there was some confusion, I actually ended up needing everything from 3/4" overlay to 1-1/2" overlay depending on where the door was and what it was adjacent to. The "overlay" is "how much of the face of the frame is covered by the door". You're close, but it's not the width of the hinge itself but how far from the cabinet opening the edge of the door is when the door is closed. This page provides some good photos showing how to measure overlay:
https://www.thehardwarehut.com/measure-overlays.php

I started the whole process by measuring all of our cabinet boxes and building out a 3D model in Solidworks since I have access to that through work. From there, it was setting a consistent overlap gap between doors and the frame edge-to-door edge, 1/4" all around. That's the minimum recommended spacing to allow for clearances for the doors to open.

Cabinet doors that butted hinge-to-hinge, like right in the middle of this pic, were 3/4" overlay since they were two doors splitting a single 1-3/4" frame face (2x 3/4" + 1/4" gap = 1.75")

The rest were the 1-1/2" overlay, 1.75" frame face - 1/4" reveal = 1.5" overlay

I had a couple of other oddball sets of overlay too (45* corner cabinet, cabinet that had to clear door trim on perpendicular wall), but 1.5" or 3/4" covered the bulk of it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

More important that what you put in there (just mix some quickcrete) is that you need to clean up the sides and put on a concrete adhesion promoter.

Cracks in your garage floor are unlikely to be fixable with the same thing, since they're probably quite small and still moving. You're probably going to want to use an epoxy concrete crack sealer.

What about for fixing a pitted concrete floor in a garage?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hmm think I'll just deal with it being mildly annoying to sweep occasionally.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

This is unfortunately not terribly uncommon

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

That would be the plan, yeah. Patch the pitting in advance of epoxying it all. I will probably find the time to do that in let's say 3-5 years lol.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Blakkout posted:

On the plus side, it'll look better than ever when you're done.

It's just like everything else with maintaining your home in that you often think you're solving a really basic problem that sends you down a rabbit hole, and before you know it you're loving steam-straightening 16' 4x4s.

I will admit to having built gantt charts for my personal remodeling projects a couple of times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

life is killing me posted:

Thank you for this.

I do want to do that, and we were originally planning on doing this before carpeting but it makes sense what you’re saying. My wife just doesn’t want to wait for caulk to dry before painting. I get that, but we are trying to do the painting before the carpeting too so not sure what order to do it in now lol

I always paint before flooring when possible