Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Almost everything in my new condo falls neatly into a "can obviously do this myself" or "really should hire someone" bin, except for this one, so I'm looking for advice about it.

For some completely unclear reason, the previous owner cut a couple holes in the fire wall at the rear of the garage. I don't like this because not only did it compromise the fire wall, but it's something for critters to get into. Here's what it looks like:

When I search, I see a few fire wall patch kits that seem like they'd work fine here, but I'm kinda flying blind with this one so I wanted opinions to make sure I'm not overlooking something that would require getting a contractor out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I grew up cooking on a gas range and have had nothing but electrics since I was 18. I do prefer gas ranges, but I cook seriously enough to call it a hobby and it's totally fine. A good electric range will heat evenly and once you learn the nuances of your particular range, it's not much of a limitation; the biggest annoyance is the inability to just shut off the heat, but then you just move the pan to a burner that was off. My new place doesn't have gas and I'm rolling with a full electric conversion for environmental reasons and I don't mind at all.

That said, when you already have a gas range that you're replacing, and you hardly cook, and you're looking at mid-tier or below ranges, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with another gas range.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I just bought myself a 33 year old oil-fired aqua booster. I'm kind of paralyzed on replacing it because of the accompanying 33 year old oil boiler, and can't decide whether to keep rolling with that or do an electric conversion. These ones do last a lot longer than conventional water heaters and are pretty unlikely to catastrophically fail, but still.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

General Battuta posted:

Have it unplugged, had the super over to take a look, he helpfully informed me that these gas valves are not meant to be turned by hand so maybe it's not actually stuck.

For now we're going to leave it unplugged except while cooking, the landlord will send someone over to check it out.

Uh, I think you might want to stick with the microwave this week, dude