Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

How long should I let Walnut acclimate to my shop? I'm building a jewelry type box and I don't want it to bow on me. Today I join and planed it flat to expose some of the inner grain because I was told that speeds things up, but how long should I wait until I mill it to final size?
Where'd you get it? Walnut normally stays put once it comes out of the kiln unless it's going into a very humid environment, and most stacked hardwood lumber at dealers is only getting drier sitting there unless somebody fucks up. If you're not in a hurry leave it at least two weeks, stickered properly of course. Moisture meters start out pretty cheap or if you have an accurate scale that will hold a board and measure down to the ounce you can weigh a piece every few days - no change means get to work.

Planing one side isn't going to dry it any faster - surface area to volume is barely changed at all. What planing will do is show you if the wood was properly dried in the first place. If you plane .030 or so off one side and the board moves you know improper drying has put not-good stresses in the outer fibers and you'll have to be careful to work both sides equally or close to it, or let it come to a new equilibrium and joint and plane again hoping it works and doesn't check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU