Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I bought a house with old rim locks on all the exterior doors. I want to replace or rekey the cylinders and have them all use the same key, what's the best/easiest way to go about it? Lowe's sells individual replacement cylinders but then I'd have four different house keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My toilet gurgles/bubbles after flushing sometimes; I'm guessing the vent pipe is blocked somewhere. It's a three story house so I'm not keen on hopping up on the roof to look; where does this fall on "ignore it" to "call a plumber NOW"?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I want to replace my clawfoot tub with a standard modern one. The bathroom doesn't have an alcove, does anyone make traditional size/shape corner tubs, or will I have to frame out a little wall for an alcove tub to fit against?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The Dave posted:

Create a Facebook ad selling the claw foot to anyone in your area that follows hgtv and make a million dollars.

It's just an acrylic one the former owner put in when he "remodeled" the bathroom, but I'll still probably be able to get a couple hundred for it. It'll help fix some of his screw-ups.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The previous owner installed recessed lighting in the bathroom and did a lovely job cutting the holes:

Those gaps go up into the attic. I'm planning on getting additional insulation blown in and want to seal everything up beforehand, what's the best way to get things nice? My first thought was just some careful spackling, but I'm sure there's other options I haven't thought of.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Stuff some steel wool into the holes before patching them, the mice won't chew through it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The frame for my bathroom door is extremely askew and the door doesn't close. It's an old house with plaster walls and slab doors, how much of a headache is it going to be for me to pull off the molding, tear out the existing frame and put in a new pre-hung door? I'm generally handy, but have no door experience to speak of.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

stupid puma posted:

If you’re generally handy it’s not that difficult but if the frame is extremely askew something else is probably up that should be addressed before you set about replacing the door. Pics would help.

It's an 1830s house and has settled a fair bit, we had it checked by a structural engineer before buying and he said it wasn't going to be moving anywhere soon.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah I think we're beyond shims here

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I need to cut a 12"x12" hole in a plaster and lath ceiling, what's the best tool for the job? I've got reciprocating saw and a small rotary tool, but I don't feel like either is well suited.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'd been looking for an excuse to get an oscillating tool anyway, so I picked up a Ryobi at Home Depot this afternoon. I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm replacing a toilet tomorrow, I've read some guides and think I have a handle on it, but is there anything I should keep in mind or make sure I do? I got one of those blue reusable seals, and picked up a wax ring too just in case.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

A neat prank to play on the guy that buys your house after you is to set the toilet directly into the thinset

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Slugworth posted:

On the other hand, with an attitude like this, how are you ever gonna get a lot of experience running bobcats?

Learn by renting a bobcat and contracting yourself to fix other people's stuff first

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I have an old 1 1/4" thick front door, with a night latch. The lock cylinder broke while I was pulling my key out (cylinder, pins, and springs all came out with the key and went clattering to the ground). I've been looking online for a replacement but everything seems to be made for 1 3/8" doors at a minimum. Anyone know a brand that will fit my door, or is my best bet taking it to a locksmith to be fixed?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

PainterofCrap posted:

Any chance that you can pick up another lock and use the cylinder with your existing hardware?

Home Depot actually sells just the cylinders, which are also made for 1 3/8 doors at a minimum, but looking closer at my current hardware, there's a brass spacer around the cylinder that should get me to where I need to be. I'll be happy if I can keep the rest of the hardware, it's early 1900s, solid brass and looks way better than the other stuff I could find.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My dishwasher empties into my kitchen sink drain pipe. Last night I found one of the compression fittings (left pipe in the photo) had come loose and emptied the dishwasher into my bottom cabinets. Upon closer inspection there's nothing actually being compressed by the fitting, the pipe from the sink just kind of sits inside.

I assume there needs to be a little rubber gasket or something in there to actually make a seal. I'm going to stop at Home Depot after work to grab something to fix it. Anything I should keep in mind or look for? I've always just used glue with PVC projects.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

tater_salad posted:

That rubber bit shoudl be part of the hose.. so you slide it over the white piece of PVC.. and then use a hose clamp or 2 to keep it tight..

If he white hose separated from the black hose.. might be time to replace that rubber bit.

The dishwasher line didn't come loose, it was the left-hand white PVC elbow. If you look closely you can see the pipe that comes down from the sink doesn't have any sort of gasket on the end, it just sit inside the threaded elbow.

I'll see about either adding a gasket so the connection is sealed or replacing the whole elbow, and adding something to support the lateral pipe.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Sink update: couldn't find a ring/gasket so I supported the pipe with a hanging strap and sealed around the gap with putty. Seems to be holding up so far.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I stopped by Lowe's today and they actually had everything for the sink, actual fix incoming!

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got to replace some of the missing balusters on my porch. Looks like the originals were cut from 1x4 lumber, so I figure I'll just make a stencil and cut out new ones. I've got about half a dozen to do, will a coping saw do the trick or am I going to hate myself for not springing for a real jigsaw?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I wouldn't want to try to cut 1x material with a coping saw. It's hard enough to keep the blade straight up and down when cutting thinner material. Get a jigsaw or find a buddy with a bandsaw.

Time to break the bad news to my wife, I need more power tools :(

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Whats the smartest way to run ethernet through my old house, from the living room up to the upstairs bedroom? I'm thinking putting conduit up to the attic and dropping it down to each bedroom from there?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

My backyard has a makeshift fence the previous owner made out of cinder blocks and pallets. I want to replace it with something nicer, are those premade fence sections at Home Depot fine or should I look into something else?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Barkeeper's Friend

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I need a lawn mower soonish

My options are limited, here are a few from Canadian Tire and Walmart I was considering:

Yardworks 150cc 3-in-1 Lawn Mower, 21-in

Yard Machines 21" 140cc 3 in 1 Push Mower

Husqvarna 163cc 3-in-1 Gas Lawn Mower, 21-in

Troy-Bilt 160cc 3-in-1 Self Propelled FWD Lawn Mower, 21-in

All lawnmower reviews seem to be negative. What would give me my best bang for my buck?

Do you need a gas model, or would a push mower work for you? I bought my first push mower last summer and I wish I had sooner.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The exterior door leading into my basement has a pretty funky texture. I'm not sure if it's the 150+ years of chipping paint coats, or the wood itself. Here's before and after going at it with an orbital sander:

The door itself is solid so I'm not looking to replace it, just pretty it up a bit. Would it make sense to kind of skim coat with some compound or wood filler, then sand prime and paint? Or just do a fresh coat of paint and enjoy the rustic look?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah I assume everything in this house is chock full of lead, I have a full-face respirator I used when doing anything with the paint.

I'll probably just smooth it out as best I can and give it a good coat or two of paint.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got a bottle of Citristrip sitting around somewhere, I'll test a section and see how it goes.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Some Citristrip and a few minutes with a putty knife have revealed some wood that hasn't seen daylight since the 1830s! It'll take some work to get everything off but this should be a fun project.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I was digging in my backyard this afternoon and came across something buried in the ground. About 6 inches below the surface was plastic sheeting, then what looked like asphalt shingles, then a steel plate. The steel sounded kind of hollow when I banged on it. I dug out an approximately 1' x 3' section before I gave up, it was continuous throughout.

Any idea what it might be? My guess is the steel is covering an old well (I was told there was one on the property, but not where it was located).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Yeah, asbestos is bad news but the real risks come from either living with it around you for years and years, or being one of the poor SOBs that mines/manufactures it.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got some exterior wood (porch, stair rail, door frame) that I need to sand down and repaint. There's some cracks and gaps in parts, is there a good wood filler I can buy to fix them up before I paint? This is in New Jersey, so there will be a good amount of seasonal freeze-thaw.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've got a section of platster wall in my basement that's pretty much completely separated from the lathe and is just staying up through inertia. If I pull the rest of the plaster down, can I put drywall over the lathe, or do I need to pull the lathe down too?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

abelwingnut posted:

i have an eggy smell coming from my sink. i tried baking soda+vinegar to get it out, but that didn't work.

what do i do now?

Clean out your trap

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

To further blow your mind it's just 6 aaaa batteries in larger package.

It depends on the battery though. Some are just made to fit in regular alkaline form factors.

Most regular ol' 9volts have six 1.5V cells in them too. Not quite the same size as AAAAs though.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

You can buy creams/wipes that will help prevent the poison ivy reaction, we use them all the time for work. Burning your clothes is a bit much I think, just take them off right after and wash with hot water and detergent on the heavy duty setting.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Cut the post and bury the concrete for the next guy to find.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I woke up this morning and found my kitchen invaded by an unending amount of tiny sugar ants, particularly by the sink. I'm going to go get some terro bait traps, but in the meantime is there anything I should be doing to get rid of these little fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I followed their trail back along the cabinets, out the door, around the perimeter of the dining room rug, and down into the HVAC return vent. I'll put the traps near there and check outside to see if I can find where they're getting in.