Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

jackpot posted:

I'm moving in a few months into a place where the walls are about 90% brick on the inside, and I'm gonna need to hang stuff of varying sizes and weights. I'm renting and will eventually have to leave the place in good shape - so how do I go about securing my various racks, picture frames, and bookshelves to a brick wall without leaving giant holes all over the place when I'm gone?

Is the brick wall plastered over or is it exposed brick? If the brick is plasterded/painted/wallpapered you can just use wallplugs and screws and fill in the holes with hole-filler (do a quick paint job afterwards if you really like to leave stuff spic-and-span). My local DIY shop even sells hole-filler in brick-red, but over here every older building is made of brick, so there's quite a market for the stuff :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

FamousThomas posted:

Wouldn't that just melt the sheathing all over the wire?

It'll smell bad, anyway. Do you use a stripping device of some sort? Then don't, yhey tear the copper. Just get a sharp hobby knife and make a careful cut around the sheathing. You'll feel it when you've cut through the sheating and hit copper with the blade. Then you can just pull the sheathing off. The nylon thread burns away when you touch it with the soldering iron. Don't forget to clean and re-tin after touching the nylon wire to prevent crap getting into your joint.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

What kind of motor? It will work if it is a DC motor. Dynamos that used to be fitted to bicycles worked on that principle. The problem is that a DC motor isn't properly designed to generate power, in the same way that a sedan isn't properly designed to race F1 cars.

Yeah, a simple bicycle dynamo would probably work best for whatever you want to do - shouldn't cost more than $5.