Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
How do I hang this huge rear end Chinese Wall scroll?

My parents sent me a huge rear end chinese wall scroll that a friend of the family gave to them. They couldn't really hang it anywhere and I happen to have a nice blank wall in my home that should work well. When I look online it seems like most of these scrolls just hang vertically. Well this one spans approximately 11 feet or so. So I have no idea how to hang this loving thing. One side has a neat little piece of wood that is attached to the scroll, the other side has a much smaller piece of wood.

I'm in the process of trying to find a good example picture online but so far I'm only finding the vertical ones. Here's what I'm dealing with:

Wall in question:

Scroll:

In all of its wrinkled horse gayness:

Any ideas?

Medikit fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

ail posted:

My idea: find or make a slightly larger canvas mounting base for it; paint canvas appropriate color, mount scroll to that. The scroll on a plain white wall seems bland. Mounting the canvas wouldn't be any difficulty, although i'm not sure how to mount the scroll to the canvas well enough to prevent any looseness or sagging.

That's good advice. I'm not thinking long term at the moment as I will be moving in a year and a half, though I might try that in the future should I use this thing again. At the moment I'm just trying to find an effective way to get it up there without double sided taping the entire thing.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima

Blowupologist posted:

According to The Internet they weren't supposed to be hung at all, and your best bet is some kind of frame. I still think brackets holding the artwork away from the wall would look cool.

That explains a lot. I updated my original post because I messed up the pictures. It shows the scroll rolled up. I can definitely grab the wood. Perhaps a bracket can hold the wood on one side and then on the other I could have a catch of some sort and wrap the end of the scroll around it since it extends beyond the wall.

One problem with this is that the left wall is concrete.