Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

During dinner tonight a bunch of outlets in my kitchen and some in my living room went dead. There are two outlets in the group of dead outlets that are GFCI. Neither will click when pushing in the reset / test buttons. One of the GFCI outlets has a green indicator light that's not lit up, the other has no such indicator.

I checked the breaker box and none of the circuit breakers tripped. I proceeded to flip the circuit breaker off, then on, for both circuits with no change. I unplugged everything from the affected circuits and flipped the circuit breaker switches with no luck either. I don't feel like shutting off electricity to the whole house at bedtime, so is there anything else I can try before calling an electrician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Yeah, head to the burn your house down thread. In the interim: kill the breaker, on the green-lit GFCI open it up and use a non-contact voltage tester to verify no voltage, unhook the "load" terminals, make sure nothing is touching anything metal it's not supposed to be, and re-energize the outlet. Verify the green light and see if it will reset. If it will, go down the line doing this until you find the one that makes it not reset. No green light you unhooked the wrong wires.

Sadly this could be critters in the walls if it's 100% mystery, but pictures in the burn your house down thread will help. It could be as simple as the outlet has decided to fail open (yay) and it's $16 to fix it.

Thanks, this actually did it. The downstream GFCI was no longer resetting, and it looked pretty old, so I replaced it with a new one. Everything clicked back on afterwards.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I'm at a loss and not sure where to look next. I woke up this morning to find a puddle of water under my washing machine spreading into the laundry room. Mopped up the water, turned off water to the house, disconnected the washer from the water hookups. After a few hours I came home and there were no signs of new water, but the drywall behind the washing machine was damp. Cut into the drywall expecting to find the inside of the wall wet from a leaky pipe that feeds into the washing machine. Bottom foot of drywall is wet, then becomes bone dry. Inside of the wall appears to be dry, none of the pipes (water, drainage) appear to wet anywhere. Turned on water back to the house, no new leaks. Reconnected the water hoses to the washing machine, turned on water to the washing machine. No new water anywhere. I've cut out all the wet drywall, but can't figure out where the water is coming from. The bottom piece of wood that the studs connects to seems to be wet? The washing machine hasn't been run for a few days. The only thing I can think of is that we had a sudden rainstorm last night; could it be possible that there's a leak in my roof and it's manifesting at the bottom of my walls..?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 9, 2019

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I took a look this morning. There's water pooling in the gap between the tile and where the sidewall used to be. It seems to be pooling more on the left side than the right.There's still a leak, but to the left of where I pulled out the drywall (stopped pulling drywall since there are cabinets there). I guess I need to get behind those cabinets to see if there's any more water damage?

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 9, 2019

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Didn't wash any clothes overnight so there would have been no discharge.

All the pipes in the area are dry to the touch. No water coming up over the top either. The discharge pipe is dry as well.

I guess I'm gonna start tearing into the walls behind the cabinets later today.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

To provide some resolution to my problem, I ended up calling a plumber. Turns out I have a slab leak. I'm lucky that it's not a terribly long distance of pipe that needs to be replaced but still. :suicide:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

The wife hates our kitchen cabinets and feels that they date our kitchen to when the previous owners did the remodel. The cabinets themselves seem to be in pretty good shape but some of the cabinet doors and blank panels are wearing pretty badly (especially the one right under the sink; it's getting discolored and warped from water coming from the sink). She was wanting to install some slab style doors. Would it be cost effective to cut my own slab cabinet doors out of something like plywood? Roughly would I be looking at:
- Pulling the old cabinet doors off.
- Measure replacements out of plywood to match old doors.
- Cut to size.
- Remount using existing hinges / hardware.

Am I missing something? Am I an idiot for wanting to do something like this versus putting in new cabinets instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I bought a new bathroom faucet to replace the existing faucet. The new faucet has hoses pre-attached with 3/8" female fittings at the end. The supply stop valves in the bathroom were these one piece supply line + water valve with a 1/2" female fittings at the end that screwed directly to the old faucet. I bought a 3/8" to 1/2" brass adapter fitting and it seems to be doing the job just fine, but would the correct way of doing things would be to replace the existing supply line / valve with a correctly sized supply stop valve?