Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The bathtub in my new house seems to be elevated about a tile's width above the floor, and there doesn't seem to be a seal between the bottom lip of the tub and the tiles of the floor. Not only is that overhanging lip a mildew farm, but I can feel a draft coming through there and I think it's an access point for small insects. So I want to seal that lip up with some caulk or something. What would you guys recommend for cleaning and sealing that gap? Keep in mind I have maybe 3 inches of clearance between the bottom of the tub and the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blowupologist posted:

I think we're going to need a bit of clarification on this. Do you mean there's a 3" unfinished gap that drafts and insects are coming into, or do you mean there's 3" of clearance underneath the tub for you to work with while you seal?

Assuming it's the latter, standard RTV silicone sealant will do the job. Thoroughly clean the mold first (use a standard household cleaner, according to the Wisconsin DHFS bleach isn't necessary), dry the area, and then apply a bead of RTV. You can either get it in a small tube or a caulk gun cartridge. Let it dry for 24 hours before using the tub again.

The latter; the former would have been a major point against me buying the house. Sorry about the lack of clarity, and thanks for the advice! This will be a weekend project.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a central AC unit that's probably a decade old; it was here when I bought the house so I don't know exactly how old it is. Starting today I noticed the thing was having trouble cooling the house down. I normally keep it set to 75; it's been blowing for the past hour solid and the inside thermometer says it's 80; it's 93 outside right now, and it's past sunset.

Are there any obvious problems I can look for in either the inside unit or the outside unit before I call an HVAC company? This is the first time I've had problems with this thing and I don't know where to begin or how much it's going to cost me.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fire Storm posted:

Clean the filter, check to see if the condenser is iced up at the furnace, clean the outdoor unit. That's what I would check first at least. How is the air coming out of the vents? Hot/room temp/cold?

I cleaned the filter this morning. The condenser is cool to the touch but I don't see any ice forming on its case. The air coming out of the vents is cooler than room temperature.

I'll be sure to clean up the area around the outside unit tomorrow morning. Thanks.