Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

cr0y posted:

This was the closest thread I could find possibly relating to this topic so like don't ban me or whatever.

I have a 100+ year old house with a traditional fireplace, however it has been plumbed with natural gas logs but still has the tradition flu (spelling?, the metal lever dealy that opens and closes the chimney access). Aside from dealing with heat rising up and setting everything around the unit on fire (It's all real stone so not super concerned if closely monitored), does it need to be "vented"? Basically, can I keep the flu closed/semi-closed for short periods or at low gas flow to actually generate heat in the room? Right now, with the flu open all it does is suck all ambient heat around the fireplace straight up through the top of my house. My concern was that it was my understanding that natural gas improperly combusted can still produce CO1?

I live in Pittsburgh. poo poo is cold.

I need to get my chimney inspected/cleaned before i can use the fireplace. This place is p. cool in that there is a fan built into the fireplace that blows the hot air into the room. (i secretly hope it's pulling air through an exchanger vs chimney air)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is boiled linseed oil food safe?

I see mixed results online.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Domus posted:

Well, yours might be safe anyway, because anything that's sealed is supposed to be fine. Maybe. Or maybe steam heating it ruins the glue. Or the finish. There's a lot of conflicting info out there. I'd be a lot more worried if mine were individual vinyl tiles, because the steam could get in the cracks. But mine's just one big ugly sheet of fake tile...with fake grout.

Strip and re-finish them.
poo poo is life changing, and not that much harder than a in-depth scrub/mop/rinse.

Basically, pour the stripper into a 3x3 area
Spread it out with a sponge
Let it sit for 5m (or whatever the bottle says)
Hit it with a scrub brush
Wipe up with a towel.
Rinse.
Seal.

Strip ($10)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armstrong-64-oz-New-Beginning-Floor-Stripper-and-Cleaner-00325806/100384309

High Gloss ($15)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Armstrong-S-390-1-2-gal-Shinekeeper-Floor-Polish-00390806/100384310

So for $25 and an afternoon, you can have like new floors.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 19, 2017

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I threw together a pair of simple mortise and tenon style chairs out of project wood to use around our fire pit.

I'm not putting a huge amount of time/effort into them (like under $20 and under an hour of work so far), but do want to at least protect them a little when sitting in the grass/dirt/outside.

Is BLO a good option for a low cost/effort outdoor finish?
Or should I grab something like a cheap-ish gallon of exterior waterproofing sealant ala Thompsons/Olympic?

I don't really want to go through the bajillion coats of varnish/poly or epoxy.