Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
I'm working on my bathroom.

What is the secret to getting a clean, solid paint line on a 45 degree meeting point where the two meeting walls are a different color? I have that weird bumpy spatter texture on my sheetrock (common in California) which makes getting a clean line harder. Just taping it off?

What is the secret to getting really accurate measurements? I'm replacing baseboards and installing a mid-high wall moulding and need precise measurements to guarantee accurate joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
Is there some reason the paint on my walls is so easily chipped - and why it is revealing the original coat despite a layer of primer, a layer of paint, then two more coats of paint (in a slightly lighter shade)? Admittedly I didn't get premium paint, but the cheaper stuff from Lowe's. Is this the cause? I've had to do small touchups because the blue paint has been knicked by something or other and suddenly there's a large white dot in a sea of blue.

It's a California house, so we have that weird spatter texture/design on the sheetrock. I cleaned the walls, sanded the walls a bit (although because of the bumps only the 'top' was sanded at all), coated it with primer, painted a dark blue, then a lighter blue twice.

ail fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 20, 2008

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

monkeybounce posted:

You also mention that you cleaned your walls. With what did you clean them?

TSP.

Shits and a biscuit though about the paint. Makes me feel like i wasted a lot of time (and in end, money).

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Medikit posted:

How do I hang this huge rear end Chinese Wall scroll?

My parents sent me a huge rear end chinese wall scroll that a friend of the family gave to them. They couldn't really hang it anywhere and I happen to have a nice blank wall in my home that should work well. When I look online it seems like most of these scrolls just hang vertically. Well this one spans approximately 11 feet or so. So I have no idea how to hang this loving thing. One side has a neat little piece of wood that is attached to the scroll, the other side has a much smaller piece of wood.
In all of its wrinkled horse gayness:

Any ideas?

My idea: find or make a slightly larger canvas mounting base for it; paint canvas appropriate color, mount scroll to that. The scroll on a plain white wall seems bland. Mounting the canvas wouldn't be any difficulty, although i'm not sure how to mount the scroll to the canvas well enough to prevent any looseness or sagging.