Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I recently found my dad's old Mont Blanc fountain tip pen. It's one of those thin ones and is very sleek and sharp looking, but I'm guessing it's around 20 years old.

So I need to do a little restoration, so two questions, ink and cleaning.

I just went out and bought some large blue Waterman cartridges. I'm not sure how great that ink quality is, but it's the only thing I could find at a local store and I'm not sure which stores would specialize in ink refills.

And then, it's got a slight amount of rust on the nib, I'm fairly certain there is a large build up of old ink throughout the delivery system (hasn't been used in years) and the only way I can get it to write at all is if I squeeze the cartridge while it's inserted until it's dripping. That might also be in account that the cartridge attached was also years old and had mostly evaporated. So I guess, how would I clean this bitch. I was thinking rubbing alcohol, but I'm not sure how much damage it would possibly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I have a cartridge pen, so I ended up finding a dental syringe with a rubber cone adapter that fit the pens threading perfectly. I flushed it out with warm water and then used the syringe with a 1 part ammonium 2 part water solution and that pulled out all the caked ink residue. Just be careful when you use the ammonia, some pens use different materials that can corrode.

Though I really like Parkers black blue ink, it's just I can't use well ink. If they had it in cartridges I would totally get it, my current blue ink is very bland if not silly.