Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Post in this thread for small questions, fast answers, or when you have gum stuck to your shoe.

Below are some places to look online on how to best remove the gum, before you start scraping it with a steak knife and your wife catches you.

Fixitnow.com

Repo Man posted:

It has great advice and information on how to diagnose and repair home appliances. I repair appliances for a living, and I find some very useful information there.

Make Magazine - Owned by O'Reilly media, an awesome site for projects both large and small, and advice on how to reuse broken devices to make fun new items.

Bob Vila's - website on home improvement, with video guides. Mostly little tips, but useful.

Ask the builder - again, short video guides and walkthroughs. Mostly links to youtube videos.

Wood Web - Basically a big bulletin board with questions, answers and advice.

This Old House - You've seen the show, this is their site. Very commercial, but useful tips and well written articles

Wiring Code - A quick guide to wire thickness and current. Always consult a professional if in doubt.

Instructables - Really good DIY website with a good layout. Tons of stuff.

Expert Village - has all kinds of how-to videos on various topics.

Craft about Crafting, what else... from the publishers of Make!

Craftster - a huge crafting forum filled with lots of tutorials on just about everything

DIY basics - tend to be bland and biased toward their sponsors, however, offers a great starting point for basic project ideas.

Nuts and Volts - Mid-grade electronics tinkering, this has some great project ideas and is a great resource for your up and coming mad scientist.

Readymade: DIY for the hipster on a budget. Lots of quick and easy projects that typically make use of recyclable materials.

Popular Mechanics: How-To-Central: ...has a few great tutorials for free. Also the home-journal section has some interesting articles. thanks to Teh Katty

(please suggest more links!)

what is this fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Removing linoleum is in fact a giant pain. Do you know what's underneath it?

You really need to use a scraper to get off the linoleum, and then you'll have to use a solvent and another scraping tool to get the gunk off from underneath. You can try slashing the linoleum before scraping or peeling it off.

It's also possible to rent mechanical strippers from Home Depot, I think, though I've never used one.

(also, you could possibly lay down the new stuff on top of the old...)

what is this fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 7, 2008

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Death Pants posted:

its concrete underneath. Laying on top of the old really isn't an option. The installers did a real poo poo job so it's peeling up in a lot of places. How much of an issue would it cause to rip up the old, but still leave the adhesive gunk on the concrete?

You need new adhesive.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Zionist_en_fuego posted:

Graphic Designers or Photographers Help me make my apartment not suck!

Hi all, i've decided to do something about the vast emptiness on the walls throughout my apartment and print up some cool home-made posters. I'm going for the uber-cliched collage/mosaic look...

I'm trying to browse google for cool source material, as well as some photos I have lying around. Problem is, i don't know what resolution i'm gonna need for medium-large size posters (11x17ish). The highest res poo poo i found on google (which is also the coolest, just GIS "wallpaper widthtXheight") maxes out around 2500x3000. Is that too small for an 11x17 poster?

What resolution or image formats should I be working with? How much could I expect to pay to print about 9 or 10 posters on quality paper and have them framed?

11x17 will be OK at 7MP.

The best looking thing, however, would be to take the picture you have, scale it up, possibly play with it in photoshop to remove artifacting, break it up into four smaller pictures, and have it professionally printed on canvas, and mounted, etc.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
also, if you need a big image and you have only a small image, livetracing it in illustrator can be a quick way to get a stylized vector image, and photoshop has various "hipster" filters like halftone pattern which can make things look stylized but otherwise fine when blown up.