Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zionist_en_fuego
Jul 8, 2004

ونحن سرقوا الفلافل
Graphic Designers or Photographers Help me make my apartment not suck!

Hi all, i've decided to do something about the vast emptiness on the walls throughout my apartment and print up some cool home-made posters. I'm going for the uber-cliched collage/mosaic look...

I'm trying to browse google for cool source material, as well as some photos I have lying around. Problem is, i don't know what resolution i'm gonna need for medium-large size posters (11x17ish). The highest res poo poo i found on google (which is also the coolest, just GIS "wallpaper widthtXheight") maxes out around 2500x3000. Is that too small for an 11x17 poster?

What resolution or image formats should I be working with? How much could I expect to pay to print about 9 or 10 posters on quality paper and have them framed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zionist_en_fuego
Jul 8, 2004

ونحن سرقوا الفلافل

Blowupologist posted:

If you have a Ritz camera nearby you're in luck. You can send them a digital image and they'll blow it up. Their website tells you what resolutions are good for what size posters; I think I did a 20x30 poster with a relatively low-resolution image (I think it was 1024 x 768, or smaller).

I'm not in america, but could you link me to that chart, i cant seem to find it. Did the poster come out well? What paper did you print it on?

Zionist_en_fuego
Jul 8, 2004

ونحن سرقوا الفلافل
Awesome, i found just what I was looking for...

thanks a ton. I'll post pics of the end result. :)

Zionist_en_fuego
Jul 8, 2004

ونحن سرقوا الفلافل

Dads posted:

You confuse me. On one hand, you seem like youre trying to set up a real quality piece, on the other hand, you're GIS'ing what you plan on framing? With the warning that the prices I estimated may be atypical, you should still realistically balance how much quality/complexity you want versus how much money you will spend. And if you plan on busting a nice wad of cash on this, your raw material would be much more valuable coming from somewhere other than GIS. (deeeeeper quaaaiidd, digggg deeeepppahhh)

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. On the one hand, i underestimated the costs involved, especially because I've decided to print things on canvas. On the other hand, GIS is an amazing resource for really really cool images which would make great posters (like the macOS blades of grass wallpaper for the bathroom etc...). - And i'm not looking for "real quality", just nicer than the "what i learned in college..." type posters my old flatmate used to have.

I think in order to save some money, i'm going to abandon the segmented photo idea, and just go with a 'theme' of multiple posters. I have images that are 2500x1650 (jpg) which I feel is a little on the small side but they look so drat cooooool. I should be looking for files in the 4000x3000 range and up, right?

Thanks by the way for the great responses, if I go through with this project, do you think it would warrant it's own thread? Or an interior design megathread perhaps?

Zionist_en_fuego fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 9, 2008