Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Bzzz posted:

What's the easiest way to take care of the black stained spots? Is there anything I can do?
Well, before my parents moved from their old house, they simply used some sort of sealing paint that I can't remember right now.

The best method would be to treat it. I haven't tried these methods, but they could work:
http://www.homeimprovementsdepot.com/how-to-remove-black-urine-stains-from-hardwood-floors-for-under-a-dollar/
http://www.ehow.com/how_2266989_remove-stains-from-hardwood-floors.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Well, an auger bit on your drill and a saws-all COULD work, but that would be tedious as hell.

Chainsaws are really not that bad, as long as you do it safely.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
They are on eBay: Auction. Another one. All
Shipping is like $80+ though, and oddly enough, 3 are in Michigan.

There are 5 on there right now. You could always DIY one too, if you wanted. I think most of them are just coolers where you need ice, and the few I have seen that are electric are not that good (thinking they just use a thermoelectric cooler instead of a gas compressing one)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

stubblyhead posted:

What is this thing, and why is it filled with water?
At one point, they made gutters drain directly underground via pipes like that.
I'd watch it. but it's likely nothing. You might want to go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a plug for that.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

hey santa baby posted:

Anybody know what this little gadget is called in English, and where one would go to get one? You use it to make little tapered pilot holes for wood screws. Yesterday I tried to explain this to some dude at Lowe's, but he had no idea what i was talking about.

Don't know if it's a different term for woodworking, but it's a tap in metalworking and is sold in a Tap and Die set at Lowes.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 11, 2009

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

That Which Squeaks posted:

Could anyone with experience give me a rundown of my options,
YOu could always rent scaffolding.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Ok, odd little DIY project here. About a year ago, my self-propelled gas mower died, and after cleaning the carb, replacing the spark plugs, testing for spark, I couldn't get it to run on gasoline (I was able to get it to run off of propane from my pluming torch, but that's beside the point). I stopped loving with it and bought an electric (corded) mower.

The problem is that the electric mower is not self propelled, and with a property as large as mine, it gets a little difficult to push (and I am just very used to self-propelled mowers). I want to convert the electric mower to self propelled, but I am not sure exactly which way to go and wanted a second opinion. Old gas mower is a 21" deck, the electric is 19"

Should I:
A. Just hack/bodge the old mower body with the electric motor? The old mower used a pulley on the main shaft that engaged the drive system by simply moving another pulley forward, causing the belt to grab and start moving. I'm just not sure the motor has enough power for both.

B. Just add a second motor for the drive to the electric mower and power it off of the same power cord? My concern about this is that there may not be enough power to run both, given the motor is rated 15a, as is the extension cords that I use.

C. B, but convert the mower to 240v (120v for each motor)? Understandably a pain in the rear end but would be one of the only 240v electric mowers in the US, I bet.

D. Second motor for drive, but use a 6/12v battery to power it? Seems rather silly to me.

E. Some other plan I haven't thought of.

I would prefer not to go back to a gas mower, because I like not dealing with gasoline (and honestly, if I did, I'd just convert it to propane or natural gas).

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

neogeo0823 posted:

My firey DIY project has hit a bit of a snag. I need to make an igniter. I was hoping to make something portable, so battery powered, and I can't use a BBQ lighter due to material and space constraints.
You know, I was at a MAKE meeting the other day and someone made a BBQ lighter one with a BBQ piezo trigger, a spark plug and some copper pipe. If you're interested, I can go into more details.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

neogeo0823 posted:

Unfortunately, even the loosest of piezo triggers requires too much pressure for the application I envisioned this thing for.
Curious.

Try something like this.

If you had more space and cash, you could do one with a automotive ignition coil or neon transformer.

EDIT: You know, thinking about it, what's basically a neon transformer in a smaller package? A compact fluorescent ballast.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 13, 2009

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm already playing with fire and risking getting burned
Ok... post those pics you talked about. I want to know whats going on.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Blowupologist posted:

Demand a replacement? That's what I would do.
Absolutely. It's a factory gently caress up. If it's having this problem now, it will have more later.

I am suddenly reminded of my parents clothes dryer years ago that was less than a week old that had 2 failures at the same time: The drum stopped turning and the sensor that shuts off the rest of the dryer (such as the heat and blower) failed at the same time. That did not end well. The store was very helpful and gave us a replacement within about 48 hours.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

belt posted:

Is RG59 cable sufficient for a cable modem
Depending on the run length, it should be ok. 20-30 feet of total run, it should be fine. Any further and I'd be hesitant. Why not just run CAT-5 from the modem into the office?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

IMJack posted:

This is the first time I've had problems with this thing and I don't know where to begin or how much it's going to cost me.
Clean the filter, check to see if the condenser is iced up at the furnace, clean the outdoor unit. That's what I would check first at least. How is the air coming out of the vents? Hot/room temp/cold?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

nwin posted:

And then right where it goes into the part above the furnace, ice is on there. It melts away really quick so it's not like a huge brick of ice, just a sheet.
In my experience with central air and window units, that means you have a refrigerant leak. As long as you don't have a faulty part and it just leaked over time, it's fairly cheap, as babyeatingpsychopath said.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Comrade Milton posted:

I'd like to be able to use some neobdynium magnets that I have to hold things closed. The magnets are small and I'd like to find a metal of small thickness (say under 5mm) and in circles of varying size. Can anyone point me to the right place? Will it be something I'll need to have done custom?
I got some magnets in the .5mm - 10mm range at Johann ETC and Michaels, but those should not be hard to find at all.

Worst case, order: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp

Jake Gittes posted:

That being said, can I walk into an engraving shop and have them burn some lettering on to the thing, or do I need to go to someone that works more with leather? Or is this even possible?
The engravers should be able to burn something into it, otherwise check out leather shops in your area, they are bound to know someone who could do it. Worst case, post in the leather thread (christ, no posts since late May?) and you might be able to find someone that can do it for you.

ABSOLUTE worst case, you can do it with a soldering iron, but my guess someone can do it for you.

OH! Laser engraving would work FABULOUSLY on this, and there is likely someone around you offering those services.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Comrade Milton posted:

I was really after just discs of metal I could use
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted magnets. Pre-cut metal... don't know about that, but you could always get a piece of sheet metal and cut it with sheers or something, or find someone that could cut some steel rod or something steel. IF you really want pre-bought parts, you can go to Lowes/Home Depot, go to the screw isle and check the small component bins/cabinets.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Not Memorable posted:

I'll take the bait! JB Weld totally saved my laptop. The part the connects the LCD frameout to the hinge busted. Took it all apart, squirted in some JB weld, clamped it up, works like a champ still. It takes a LOT of pressure/movement and is holding up great.

HP DV9000 or zv5000 series? I did that too, then after that failed, I got a hinge off of ebay and made it fit.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

kid sinister posted:

First thing's first, the shell will be easiest to paint if you take out its innards. I don't have a 360, but look at the screws on the backside. Does it use regular Phillips screws, or does Microsoft use some security screw type?

Google says it's a T8 secure (A t8 sized torx with a hole in the middle)

As for coloring... there are plastic dyes. Would those be good?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

The Aphasian posted:

2. If we can't get hold of him, would my ridiculous plan of using a fish-tank pump on a timer, with the output tube running to a nearby sink, be an okay solution?
As a quick "use this for a week" until you get back fix? Should be.

Kaiser Bill posted:

In browsing the home depot and lowe's websites, it looks like they sell spray-on lacquer for like 6 bucks. Feasible?
Sounds good to me. Might want to find a marker that can match the color of the floor before you spray and seal it.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

belt posted:

It's just more convenient because I live in a small town and I'm about an hour away from the nearest store that sells anything more than RoundUp.

Well, keep in mind that you will likely have to pay hazardous materials fees on any shipping of weed killer.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Jewbert Jewstein posted:

Will a simple lexan sheet work? I know it's MUCH cheaper than plexiglass...
Lexan is CHEAPER than plexiglass? If that's the case where you are, go Lexan. The UV proofing would be a bonus. If you want to go all fancy and try making your own dual pane noise blocking window, use 2 pieces of different thicknesses to dampen sound (Guy was telling me about that when I got new windows on the house.)

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Jewbert Jewstein posted:

Upon further research, gently caress Lowes. They're about the same price according to google. Which is better in this case? And for this dual pane thing, do I just put one over the other? There's nothing else to it?
Lexan > Plexi, and at the Lowes near me, Lexan is like 6x the price of Plexi.

To do the dual pane thing, it would be a bit of work. Seperate the panes by about a quarter inch, get one piece whatever thickness you want and one piece either half or 2/3 as thick. HOW you make the frame is up to you.

Easiest would be to get quarter/half inch square wood, get the plexi/lexan cut to the size of the hole, and cut the wood so the frame is flush with the lexan, glue/nail and pop it in.

EXAMPLE: If the hole is 16" x 16" and you are using half-inch wood, cut 2 pieces 16" long and 2 pieces 15" long. If you want to be fancy, you can make a doweled butt joint, or nail the corners. Look at a regular double pane window to get a rough idea of what I am talking about.

Slightly more difficult but better method would be to make a wood frame with grooves cut inside that hold the panes in place, which would be a little more like cabinet making.

I know I am explaining this very poorly. If you are interested in this, I can MSPaint something that would at least give better details.

Would this be worth it? Not a clue. Although now I am tempted to do that with the windows in my garage that need replacing.

I am curious... is this in your actual house? There is a hole in the wall and this passed code? Can you give photos?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
edit: ignore

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
That front cover should come off fairly easy, so that's what I would do. Take it apart and use a vacuum for most of it and toothbrush/pipe cleaners for the harder bits.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Heat. I think that screw setting glues soften a little with heat, so a blast from a hair dryer could help.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

NashAsh posted:

Do they make screw extractors that small though?
Pretty sure.
There is this set on Amazon. If not that, you could always heat harden a cheap screwdriver tip. Blowtorch or gas stovetop, heat the tip then quench...

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Is there any exterminator that excels in wasps over others? Or should I just call Orkin/Terminix and a few local companies? I somehow have wasps in my house (a wiki search makes it look like a yellow jacket, sand wasp or something not fuzzy and armored looking), I know roughly where the nest may be, but I can't figure out where they are coming into the house from. I'm averaging about 3-4 wasps in my kitchen, I've checked all the screens in the house, gone as far as to tape/plastic up every exhaust fan in my house, torn off molding/trim and foamed the crap out of the resulting gaps, and I've stopped using the door near the suspected nest. For some reason they seem to love my kitchen window.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

ease posted:

Kayak, both pointed in the same direction.
Acceleration at least, likely some increase in top speed, but not twice as fast. Maybe... 20% at most.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

D-Pad posted:

Quick question about the DIY forums...

What ever happened to the goon retreat in Hawaii? I can't seem to find the thread and I want to see what progress has been made.
He did something bad in the past so goons hate him, got the thread gassed.

The project has been moved to a blog.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

joozy posted:

how would i go about fixing this without ripping out the whole shower?

First, turn off at least the water to that faucet, if not the whole house.

Underneath the knob, there is a little screw to remove it. Remove that. Remove the decorative chrome ring.

THEN...
You should be able to remove the valve assembly with a wrench. Clean and/or replace that.

Video

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

El_Matarife posted:

Is WoodWoker's Hardware the best place to buy drawer slides?
Home Depot and Lowes have them, so any local hardware store should too.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

brad industry posted:

My rolling chair has worn into the hardwood floors of my rental apartment. What's the easiest way to fix it up? Some kind of wood polish?

If you're looking for a "get your damage deposit back" fix, lightly sand, match a poly/stain mix and apply.

If it's deep, sand, use wood filler (if deeper than it is wide), then stain and poly.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

dv6speed posted:

Yes, most laptops have the connector soldered right on the board. Of all the motherboards I replaced in laptops under warranty, almost a 1/4 of them had to do with broken power jacks.

I have to compliment Apple on having the smarts to locate the power jack off of the motherboard. That's just drat good engineering. Only like 1 or 2 Dell models I worked on did that.
Interestingly enough, HP seemed to have learned their lesson. Their newer lines have connectors on their own daughter board. (At least the DV9000 series did/does)

After replacing the connector a good half-dozen times on my older laptop, I did a pigtail connection where the actual connector was outside of the laptop, connected with a good 4-6" of braided wire. A hack for sure, but even with a new connector, the solder kept snapping off the connector, so I said hell with it.

If you don't want to deal with Mouser, most of the connectors are on eBay too. You just have to know EXACTLY what you are looking for.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

dv6speed posted:

WTF do you do to that poor machine? Rape it violently at night or something?
Well, it kept looking at me all purdy like.

Na, the connector was crap. The plastic in the connector would crack if I moved the cord slightly wrong. Hell, it was recalled, they fixed it and it broke within a month. I wasn't rough, it was just a very crappy component. My other laptops went their entire life without a single connector problem, it was just the connectors on the one laptop.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Leperflesh posted:

dv6speed is referring to polycarbonate lenses (for prescription glasses). Polycarbonate is the same stuff used for bullet-proof plastic. It is also popular because it's much lighter-weight than glass lenses, although it is a bit more expensive.

As he said, though, they are no substitute for proper safety glasses.

Correct. You can get prescription safety glasses, but really, I think safety goggles that fit over your regular glasses are a better choice (simply due to cost for multiple pairs).

I normally use my prescription safety glasses with a face mask when I am dremmeling or something similar. (Also I gotta get me one of those cutting disks)

VVVV Very true. My biggest problem is cost, since it normally means I need to buy 3 pairs of glasses (or at least replace 3 sets of lenses) per year (reading/computer, standard, safety). (I refuse to get bifocals, so no combining the regular and reading/computer)

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 26, 2010

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
My first thought was it's some sort of glass working tool.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
Any interest in weird metal cylinders and bars likely from the post WWII period that are supposedly used to determine angles?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Iron Squid posted:

a small submarine
Is a rocket next on your plans?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Flay Minion posted:

Additionally, with a sander you need some form of dust abatement or you'll be months getting the dust out of everything.
I love that cheap plastic tarp stuff for painters. Just tape up the doorways and vents and you're good.

If it only kept the smell of the poly out of my furnace so wouldn't be reminded of my finished floors for the first few weeks of using the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

i've hosed a usb key that has something fairly important on it. Should have had it backed up i know but i can't do that now. Basically upon cracking it open it seems that knocking the key has bent the connectors and they are now all detached from where they were soldered. I've tried bending them back and holding them down with a plastic card but it isn't working. any suggestions?
Sucks. The connections on the bottom could have been ripped loose too. Check the bottom of the drive and see if it looks like the little green traces are broken or lifted up. If that's the case (lifted up), solder on the bottom could fix it enough to get your data off. If a trace is broken... I'd recommend taking/sending it to someone who is better with electronics simply because making a hack-job fix to get the data off is annoying and you need a steady hand with a soldering iron.