Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

plasticus posted:

Carpet & Carpet Padding

Alright, short version of the project is that I'm finishing a room in my basement with some buddies, starting this weekend. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to home improvement. One of my friends is an electrician, and the other has done a fair amount of drywalling and plumbing.

I was pulling up the carpet last night, and the pad underneath was in pretty good condition. The carpet had been laid using pin strips (?) and a carpet stretcher. However, I just bought new carpet (pretty cheap stuff) that has a pad attached to it. So should I just double up on the pads? I think that having two pads would make it seem more comfortable, but I won't do it at the expense of having wavy carpet.

If I do use both pads, should I change the way I install it? My plan was to just tape down the new stuff to the concrete floor. If it makes a difference, the old pad appears to be a synthetic fiber(it's black, you can see the individual fibers if you look closely, and it has a ridged/wavy pattern), and the new carpet has a rubber backing. Can I tape the old pad to the concrete floor, then tape the new carpet & pad to the old pad underneath? Would a glue work better in this case?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

I used to work for a carpet installer, and I can also verify that taping is a really bad way to go. I'm not familiar with the type of carpet you're using (padding attached AND a rubber backing?) but it doesn't sound like it would stretch very well if it's all put together already.

Go with glue: any carpet sales warehouse should tell you how and which glue to get, since they probably sell it themselves at jacked-up prices. Look around after that. In my experience it was laid on with a trowel like any linoleum glue or Spackle. If you want it to look really nice I'd invest in a rental roller, which is basically a mini-steamroller (a heavy as gently caress metal cylinder attached to a handle) to roll out any bulges or weird spots.

If you could possibly link me to the type of carpet you got, too, that might help me make a diagnosis. If you've already got tack strip down on concrete, I'd personally consider buying stretchable carpet and using the old pad, as getting tack strip into concrete is a bitch and a half if you decide to do it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU