Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blearghhh
Oct 19, 2004
In my weekend/country house I noticed a bad smell coming from the basement the other day, and when I went down there I noticed a pipe sticking up just before the drain exits the wall and goes into the septic tank. All the drain water (and, uh, other stuff) from the house was exiting through this pipe and onto the floor of the basement... Which leads me to believe that the pipe to the septic tank is clogged somewhere along the line.

So, being that I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to pay for the video diagnostic type things, can I just rent an auger and feed it down there to see if it'll take out whatever's in there? Or do I stand a chance of buggering things up even more if I just blindly start feeding things down the tube?

This is, of course, assuming that it's not just that the septic tank is full and not draining into the leeching bed. Then I'm just in for a world of hurt when I take the pipe apart.

After all this, of course, is when I have to deal with all the human waste in the dirt floor of the basement... Which may involve digging up and getting rid of. Or just scooping up the worst of it and covering it with something, but that's for another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blearghhh
Oct 19, 2004

monkeybounce posted:

I would go with the video diagnostic.

If it were a normal sewer, I'd say rotoroot away, but septic tanks are a different story and much more expensive to fix/much messier if you gently caress something up.

drat.

monkeybounce posted:

As for the pipe sticking up, I'm assuming it's just a clean-out and is there specifically for auguring out the pipes, but it most definitely should be capped. If it's just allowing raw sewage to spill unabated into the basement, that's a problem in and of itself.

Nah, it's there because the previous owners were idiots and decided adding a new pipe sticking up from the drain was an appropriate thing to add so that a drip line could be added. Without so much as a trap I would add.

Although, I guess without that pipe it would've backed up until it got to the kitchen sink, which is the next lowest point. I probably would've noticed it sooner, if nothing else.