Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dainan
Dec 24, 2004
I <3 Walmart

jackpot posted:

I've got an oil furnace with a 250 gallon tank outside. I got a fill-up of 200 gallons on January 4, and just a few minutes ago my furnace hiccupped and shut itself off prematurely. I was able to get it going again, but I'm just wondering if there's any way possible that I'm scraping the bottom of the tank, meaning I somehow used 200 loving gallons of $3.20 oil in the past six weeks. I'm in a one floor apartment, about 800 square feet, and I keep the thermostat around 70 when I'm home, 65 when I'm not. And there was a one week stretch where I didn't use heat at all because it was really warm.

I'm trying like hell to find some kind of heating oil estimate calculator, but I can't find anything; could anyone take a guess on how much oil I'm using?

Edit: To answer the obvious question, I can't really tell how much oil is in the tank. It's an old rusted piece of poo poo and there's no meter or anything, just a hole in the top and a rock tied to a rope used as a dipstick. Not very trustworthy.

I dont keep up on oil heat too much because i rarely see it, but heres what I remember from class.

The nozzle that sprays out the oil has a drip rating for how much oil it drips each hour. I wanna say that theyre typically around 1 gallon of oil an hour. So I'll let you do the math. Remember this is only around 1 gallon of oil per actually furnace running time. I dont know how long your furnace will cycle for on average until the call for heat is satisfied. Should be something you can figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU