Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
For those that want it:

I have registered a #DIY channel on irc.synirc.net. You will see me in there as the channel owner, JonTheExecutor (my older forums name).

Come, and let us discuss voiding warranties, hardware hacking, DIY renovations and construction, and engage in general merriment.

Sufficiently skilled individuals who don't act like idiots will be made operators. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So, I don't see an HVAC thread...which I guess sort of makes sense considering that it isn't really a DIY thing. That being said, I have an issue I need some guidance on if there are any people skilled in HVAC...

We have a really lovely air conditioner for our apartment and we've known that from the start, but it's gotten much worse this summer. Last summer we had some minor issues with insufficient cooling but our electric bill was reasonable and we made sure to turn it up during the day to help. This month, we got a $160 electric bill which is more than twice the highest one we've ever had.

I complain to the landlord and he gets his HVAC dude to come out and look at it, assuming it needs a recharge. Now, I keep reading that supposedly you should have an 18-20 degrees Fahrenheit difference between the return and a vent. The most I measured was about 6 with a Fluke IR thermometer up close to the return/vent. I've also observed several times when it is really hot outside (90+) I'll have the air set on 70 or so, it's been running for a couple of hours at least and it's still 76 or more inside. It just isn't cooling. The HVAC guy finds that it does not, in fact, need a recharge. Puzzling. He comes in and puts his hand in front of a vent and declares it to be "cooling well". This was, however, at around 9 AM and it was less than 80 outside.

Our apartment is part of a triplex and is around 1800 square feet with two levels. Cooling has always been lovely upstairs but now it's lovely everywhere. The unit is so drat old I can't even find identifying information on it. I'm trying to come up with a way to convince my landlord (who is a loving miser) to replace the whole thing. Unfortunately, even in the south A/C is technically a "luxury" and the leasing laws do not require a landlord to even provide it. So, am I right in my evaluation that the A/C system is dying and that's what's driven our electric bill up? Any tips for convincing him to replace it?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Jaweeeblop posted:

Do you use gas, heat pump, or electric heat strips for heat in your system? In my experience, if a bill spikes like yours did (assuming the HVAC tech was correct in saying it is properly charged) it is usually because the system has electric heat strips and there is a short causing the heat to run at the same time as the a/c resulting in roughly room temperature air circulating through the system.

I thought it was gas, but perhaps I've been misinformed (I haven't actually looked). If it is gas, is it possible there are electric strips in there anyway for "emergency heat"? The inside unit is vertical, with an access panel at the bottom where the blower is and the filter slides in next to it...well, sort of. It's a total piece of poo poo and the filter gets held in place with a metal thing and it is horrendous to replace. I suppose if there's no gas line I could assume it's electric. I'll check on it tonight.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I verified a few things:

- No electric heat of any kind. All gas.
- The unit on the inside of the house is dated 1982. Great, the air conditioner is as old as me.
- The unit on the outside appears to be running fine, but is newer and a different brand. Interesting.
- It's 94 outside. It's about 78 inside, and the air coming out of the register is 80. Yep, you read that right, 80.

So if the coolant level is fine and everything appears to be working normally, what the hell is wrong with it?

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

grover posted:

Are the evaporator coils icing up? Can you see the coils when you pull the filter? - different symptoms.

If it's blowing warm air, sounds like the fan is working but the coil isn't. Are the condenser coils on the outside unit getting hot? Can you tell if the compressor is running?

The HVAC contractor checked the pressure and said it was slightly low, and he topped it off. No effect. The outside unit is running just fine, as far as I can tell. What could be wrong with the coil, exactly? Since the pressure is OK it isn't leaking...does that mean that something is blocking the flow of coolant?

Honestly I don't want it to be "fixed" at this point, I want the whole loving business replaced. The guy is coming out again after I complained to the landlord.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Is there a thread about solar/other renewable energy (both on and off the grid) in this subforum? It is something I'm thinking about and running numbers on as part of a long term plan. I poked around a bit and didn't see one. I have a good foundation in electricity and electronics, but I do have some questions that are specific to off-grid or mostly off-grid living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Well, once I get my poo poo together, maybe I'll just make a thread! :haw:

I enjoy sharing my knowledge when I've worked to get it. Might need to find an alternative-energy focused forum somewhere...