Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I would like to be able to weld sheetmetal like panelwork on a car, exhausts etc.

For this I'd need a MIG, right? Gas wouldn't really cut it for my applications. And I sure as hell know my arc welder can't weld thin metal.

I don't have a fat wallet, so budget is a major concern. It is something I will have to save up for slowly.
I know I want one that can use gas. I don't want a flux core only unit.

My questions are:

What sort of minimum duty cycle do I need so I don't make a mess with lots of blowthroughs, heat distortion etc.?

What else do I have to watch out for?
I seem to recall a portion of MIGs out there having a permanently active electrode, ie the trigger only controls feed, not power. How common is this?

I'd probably be looking at an eBay unit, maybe even preloved.

So I'm really just looking for something for home use which I can use on my project vehicle and other things, and has a lowish probability of killing me. Please help steer me in the right direction.

Sorry if there are dropped letters. I just switched to a keyboard that has been in the shed for a while and it's keys are still a bit stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I've got questions.

Our hot water heater is near the bathroom. Almost right outside the wall. In the past few months or so the cold water runs very warm / hot for a few seconds. Why is this happening?
All I can think of is some kind of backflush from the heater into the cold line.
its pressure relief works fine and I bled it a couple of weeks ago to be sure.

Our kitchen was carpeted. Well, half of it still is. There are nice floorboards underneath. Unfortunately the carpet had this awful blue foam underlay which was glued to the floor, and has generally fused with it everywhere else as it decayed with age. how the hell do I get it off? I had a degree of success with orange oil and a paint scraper, but a lot of it just won't budge where it has fused. What do I do?
I really want to strip it all and give it a nice urethane coat or something. Then the rest of the house will receive a similar treatment.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

jvick posted:

How thick is it? Is it thin enough to where you can just rent a huge floor sander and remove it that way?

Between effectively 0 and maybe 2 mm thick. The uncompressed bits are thicker but easy to scrape off.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Whenever I see the adhesive crap on This Old House, they take a floor sander to it. Won't you have to sand the floor to do a refinish anyway? Two birds, one stone!

Yeah. I was actually looking at it a few minutes ago and realised a floor sander would be wasted. The whole kitchen is maybe 3x4m. Anyone know what smaller items I could use. Hell even by hand I could probably do it in a day, but I've never restored a PO messed up house floor before and have no idea.