Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I bought an awesome used China Hutch at a swap meet last Friday (Canton First Mondays for you Texans) but the problem is, the hutch is stained a VERY Cherry red and my dining room furniture is a dark brown Oak color, including the paneling along the bottom half of my dining room. It also has a few bumps, bruises and scratches so it really doesn't look its best right now, so no matter what I want to do something to fix it

I'm somewhat handy, but I've never "stripped" stained wood before. A friend said I'd probably need to sand it all the way out and then re-stain. How feasible/hard is this? How likely is it that I'd ruin the entire thing by sanding too much? Another possibility is to paint the hutch. I normally think painting over solid wood is practically a crime, but I really don't want to leave it Cherry. There seems to be a thin layer of not very shiny varnish on top. Would I need to sand it still, or just do a coat of primer?

Bonus crappy cell phone pic of the hutch in my dining room, the washed out colors in the pic don't do justice to the amount of clashing it does:

Annakie fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU