Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurDunamis
Jun 17, 2005

gross posted:

It just seems like there should be some common part for things like that, but I haven't found it yet. Like a tiny plastic bulkhead fitting with a soft gasket that can be tightened down around the cord. If I find a way to rig something from other parts, I'll be sure to share it.

There is such a part - a cable gland. In this case an 'IP rated cable gland' is what you should be searching for, I'll not try to recommend any suppliers since I'm in the UK, but now that you have a name for the part you should be able to track one down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurDunamis
Jun 17, 2005

MaiaN posted:

Now, the ikea paper leaflet has a specific slot for the neutral wire and the live wire. The wires on my hall light, however are both exactly the same. Does it matter where I plug each cable in?
'Does it matter?' covers 3 questions - Will it work, will it be safe and does it meet local regulations. I have no idea what the local regs would be in your part of the world, and for the first two, it depends on the fitting you have. With most light fittings it doesn't make much difference which way around you connect the live and neutral in terms of function, but when it comes to mains electricity it's not a good idea to guess - especially since just because it works, doesn't mean it's safe.

MaiaN posted:

Another question I have is for mounting it to the wall. There are two screws, do I need to drill a hole in the wall and then put the screws in, or just screw them in? The walls I have are quite thin (about 7cm) made of terracota-like hollow bricks with about 1cm plaster covering them.
Drill, insert wall plug, then screw would be the way I'd normally do it.

PurDunamis fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 25, 2008

PurDunamis
Jun 17, 2005

MaiaN posted:

I bought some fluorescent lights for my kitchen today and asked the person in the shop for advice. They said to just try, if the breakers tripped then it was the wrong way round. As for local regulations, I don't think there are any for something this specific over here (Spain).

How would I go about finding out which wire is which, if trial and error isn't really an option?

It's just occurred to me that in much of mainland Europe un-polarised sockets are the norm, so it won't matter which way around you connect the live and neutral, just make sure you wire up the earth correctly and you should be good to go.