Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

This isn't a question as much as it is a suggestion for folks who are mildly grossed out by the idea of sitting on an old toilet seat that somebody else's rear end has been on.

It turns out that a standard toilet seat can be purchased for just $5 at Home Depot. FIVE BUCKS. And all it takes to install it is a screwdriver. I've spent the last five years sitting on the toilet seat that the previous owner of my house sat on for 18 years. If I had known sooner, I would have swapped it out as soon as I moved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Mthrboard posted:

Put the 10 year batteries in the hard wired detectors, problem solved. Or, if you don't want to do wiring, there are some detectors that communicate wirelessly. If you do hard wire them, make sure you wire them into the same circuit as your master bedroom lighting. That way if the circuit blows you'll know right away. Also, add at least one carbon monoxide detector to each floor.

Regarding 10-year batteries, I was told by my local insurance claims guy that while the batteries may work just fine (which is demonstrated by pushing the test button), the actual sensor that detects the smoke isn't really meant to last more than 7 years or so, requiring a full detector change.

Any word on this? Is this a scheme to get people to keep buying detectors? Should testing be done by blowing smoke into the detectors, instead of just pushing the test button?

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I think it's a scam. I know the half-life of americium is a long time; hundreds of years, so that's not a factor. If my parents' 20-year-old CD player still works, I have to imagine the smoke detector will still work OK, being it is a much simpler circuit with far fewer moving parts.

However, if your insurance company wants you to replace them every 7 years, then that's what you do; insurance companies don't make money by giving it out, and they'll take ANY way they can to not pay on a claim.

I don't know much about americium, but I do know that sensors can fail for any number of reasons, and I wasn't sure if dust build-up or long-term oxidization of a vital sensor componant could be an issue in a smoke detector.

As for the insurance company bit -- I work on the home insurance side of a major insurance company (just not in claims). I do know, however, that we don't deny claims based on lack of smoke-detector upkeep. A smoke detector is really there to help mitigate the life-safety concern, since it's harder to replace a person than it is to replace a house.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I will admit I am slightly annoyed at how the builders laid my house's smoke detectors out, though. There are five, but realistically there's only three locations. In the front of the house there's one in one bedroom...then in the office (which is technically also a bedroom) there is a detector right by the door, and another one just outside of the door in the hallway two feet away. Same deal with the master bedroom, there's one just inside and one just outside of the door.

Inside and outside the doors seem like a good idea, though, especially if people sleep in bedrooms with the doors closed. Having a hallway detector go off seems better than having to wait until the smoke enter my room to trigger the one in there.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It seems like it would have been more effective to spread them out instead - and waiting for one to trigger is a non-issue since mine are all wired together. One goes off, they all go off.

Oh... yeah. Having them linked together does sort of negate that benefit. Disregard.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I plan to remove the woodstove from my house. My woodstove vents to the ceiling.

What things should I take into consideration when removing it?

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

On the other hand, I have plenty of hot water from my tank whenever the power goes down, because my gas hot-water heater keeps my water nice and hot. Also, in the event of a water-supply-disrupting earthquake, I have lots of good water available for a while.

I prefer tankless, but I think that having the tankless as supplement (or primary) alongside a tank is probably a good idea, given the additional benefits provided by a tank. That way, you can use the efficiency of the tankless system when power is available (most of the time), and have the benefit of useful hot water from the tank when it isn't.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

A lot of bathrooms have vanity lights (above the mirror) and a dimmer light close to the shower. My wife wants to have that light replaced with a decorative chandelier, and while I'm comfortable with the installation and wiring, I don't know if there's something I should know about those light, as far as humidity and all that. Is there a building code associated with bathroom lights?

EDIT: disregard. I modified my search to include "building code" and see that the lights have to be vapor/water proof, which I assumed. Awesome. I get to tell my wife that I don't have to wire the lights up. I probably will, however, end up installing it without the lights, because she thinks it's so pretty.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I have a ROSS Loudmouth guitar amp, and after 6 months of sitting in storage, it's having a problem. When I plug it in (regardless of on/off position of power switch), it trips the house breaker. It doesn't, however, trip the internal fuse.

I know that there's a short, but I can't see any obvious loose wires or any thing, and the fact that the internal fuse isn't being tripped is throwing me off.

If uploading pictures will help, I will, but in the meantime, if there's something obvious I should look for, let me know. I'd like to get this amp working again.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Chessna posted:

Has anyone ever painted a camping tent before? I'm going to an end of summer festival, and I want to paint my tent so I can eventually find it amongst the thousands of other tents, but wasn't sure what paint to use?

Any suggestions as to what paint would stick to a tent, in hot conditions? I was thinking of acrylic, but I can picture it peeling off after day 2.

I don't have an iphone, but I know it has a "find my car in a parking lot" app, which might be useful in this situation. Do you have an iphone?

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Google Sketch-Up?

Seconding sketchup. My wife learned it in a few days and she used it to design our kitchen.

Before:

After:

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Resident insurance guy here: if you have a retaining wall to the left of the steps, get quotes for a handrail as well. That's a disastrous liability exposure; if somebody sued you after falling off the sidewalk, they'd win that suit in a heartbeat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

I believe that's a motion sensor.