Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

For electricians:

In the back stairwell of my building, each landing has a light fixture with two bulbs, and each fixture has a motion sensor attached to it. The problem with this is that it means you have to walk out into a completely dark stairwell and then wave your arms until the lights turn on.

I'd like to take these fixtures off the motion sensor and put them on a timer. There are five fixtures on a motion sensor, but also one more that is on all the time, so six fixtures, 12 bulbs. I have almost no electrical experience, is removing the sensors and adding a timer out of my league or could I do this myself? I have a feeling it's pretty simple fix, but maybe there's something I'm not thinking of. If this is something I can do myself, what are some tips to getting it done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Probably the best place to ask this question. The previous owners covered my front and back decks with Behr Deck-over paint. I've owned the place for three years, and I'm not entirely sure when the previous owners put this on. It's starting to chip and crack, and ultimately I'd rather just remove it and stain the deck. I tried brushing off the loose paint last year and repainting on my front deck, but the new paint pretty much immediately started peeling. Everything I've read about Deck-Over paint is that it sucks, and a lot of times is used to cover up boards that should've just been replaced.

Both decks seems to be in decent shape, the front deck is slightly worse than the back deck, but I really don't think the boards to need to be completely replaced. Is there any good way to remove this stuff that doesn't involve me scraping at it for days? Will paint stripper work?

Lastly, is there any important prep I should do to the deck once I get the old paint removed and getting ready to apply stain?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Last time I just took a good deck brush and scrubbed for a while. I was mostly going over the old paint, but I was trying to remove any loose paint. At this point, I want to remove all of it. I took a power washer to it over the weekend, and it did get some of the loose paint off, but I became worried about damaging the wood underneath.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Final Blog Entry posted:

No way to fix that as far as I'm aware, just cut the whole end off and put a replacement hose end on there.

Yea, replacement hose ends are cheap and easy to put on.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Just double checking some advice I got from another thread. I have a small crack in my foundation wall, largest spot about a 1/4" wide at the top and narrows down to nothing towards the bottom. I've been getting some water seepage from the crack during heavy rains lately. I was going to call a waterproofer, but I was told there are kits I could get at Home Depot that inject epoxy into the crack and solve the issue. I have a hammer drill, so drilling into the concrete is not an issue. Anyone done this, and is it a good permanent, or at least long lasting solution?

This is a relatively new crack in a 100 year old house. I do not remember seeing this the last four years I lived here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hed posted:

I’ve done this on shrinkage cracks before and it’s no different than what the concrete leak company will do, although they might try to add some carbon fiber down on the surface too.

Hell depending on your length needed I have exactly half of a pro kit unopened that should fix 5’ (it was a 10’ kit and I used half of the consumables). You don’t need to hammer drill or grind, really just clean the crack out with the brush (included).

I actually ordered some stuff earlier today before seeing this. Good to know it seems legit though. I have about 5’ of crack to fix, and I’ll make sure to go to town on it with the wire brush first.