Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
I'm living in a relatively old apartment in France (That goes without saying, this poxy country is one big antique). At the moment my kitchen faces a long, open area of land near an airport so I get high winds. Our estate agency is appalling and take a long time to get anything done.

Basically the window in the kitchen is very old. You use a handle at the bottom, and push out, so the top part comes in, the bottom part goes out, when you open it. It is a wooden window on a wooden frame, single glazed. During high winds however the top part comes in somewhat, letting in an awful draught. The problem however is that when the top comes in, the bottom comes out a little bit, and seeing as rain is always accompanying the high winds, it pools and bubbles through the small opening in the bottom right of the window, drenching the work surface.

Would cheap sticky strips of rubber insulation from the local shop fix this? (Rubber extrusions) I'm anticipating my estate agents doing nothing (Customer service is a paradox in France, I've discovered over three years of other things not being fixed in my place), and I want anything to fix it. What about a small toilet door bolt across the top, to stop the top part flexing in?

Cheers from a not very knowledgable DIY person,

disgraceful fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
Yeah, it's about 135mm wide, 125mm tall, roughly. It's strange, only part of the bottom extends outwards.

A large handle at the bottom keeps it all locked in place, so because we get a lot of high winds, the top is not very strong to deal with it.

Here are some shots, sorry for the quality, but they give a rough idea. Click for bigger if you need to :)

The window:

Up close at the corner:

So you see in this corner, when the wind blows strong it pushes the top in which pushes against the bottom outwards and this corner gives. Rain bubbles up into it and flows onto the counter (obviously not in that shot.)

I'm thinking of giving that bolt a shot, anything to watch out for, or is the rubber a bit better to seal it?

disgraceful fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 10, 2008

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
The window is fixed in the middle on both sides by semi-circular devices, and they roll on those when you push it out.

I'll have a look for this. I'm confident i'll have to resort to this because when the floor in the bathroom collasped in 2006 they fixed it but left it untiled, despite several harrassing calls. There's problems with the toilet too and when the plumber recommended that the crack on the toilet bowl could cause issues in the future they were unwilling to replace it :)

Thanks a lot!

disgraceful fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 10, 2008

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
Part of my kitchen sink appears to be leaking. It's very slow, and I'm wondering is it possible for me to fix this, or do I need a plumber? Plumbers are incredibly expensive here in France which is why I am trying to do it myself.

Here is the picture. Basically water drips out slowly but constantly.Thank you, I am appreciative of any advice.

disgraceful fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 18, 2008

disgraceful
Mar 30, 2006
Wiking.
Thank you guys for your earlier help :)