Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

My mom wanted me to replace her outlet in the bathroom with a GFCI. Her house is wired with aluminum. The guy at Lowe's said that I needed to convert the aluminum to copper before wiring the outlet. He sold me a few feet of 12-3 copper and some of these brass cylinders. He said all I have to do is twist the copper and aluminum together then use the wire tool to pinch the brass over the twist. After I got done doing that I wrapped the exposed areas with electrical tape.

Is my mom's house going to catch on fire? (Did I do anything wrong? Did I do anything right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Mthrboard posted:

Well, what you did sounds correct, assuming the crimps are sound. It's a bit of overkill though, and probably a lot more expensive than using an aluminum-rated receptacle. I'm a little confused as to why he sold you 12-3 wire, unless they don't sell 12-2 by the foot, and you only really need 1 foot for the pigtails.

12-3 for black/white/ground. I need to do another outlet anyways so I got all the supplies I needed for both. Thanks for the info.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

You can also forgo the stud finding if you use something like Hercules Hooks.

Ignore the "OMG I'M BILLY MAYEZ AND THIS PRODUCT IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD BUY NOW!"

They do work very well.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Today I was enjoying both a book and burning off the top layer of my meat coat, when suddenly my book fell to pieces. I was wondering if anyone had luck rebinding their books with silicon adhesives like goop? Will it work for this application or do I need to go get plastic glue?

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Cakefool posted:

why did you leap straight to silicon & plastic? Books are made of paper & paper variants, and would benefit more from cellulose based glues. Try the book binding thread for a proper repair method:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3140637

I know it might come as a surprise, but I actually did a bit of googling before I asked this question. Pretty much all of the results recommend using Plastic or PVA (based) glues. I chose to ask about silicon glue because I have a tube of it sitting right here.