Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Thanks thread! My understanding is that I should have some hot water on hand to soften the ends.
My recollection from installing some new sprinklers earlier this year is that everyone was only stocking compression fittings for anything above 1/4" unless you special order them—on hot days the pressure in larger diameter tubing can cause it to blow right off the barbed ones (which doesn't happen with the compression fittings though they are a little harder to attach).

You will definitely want some hot water or another source of heat (a little kitchen torch works, just don't overcook it) to soften up the tubing so that you can get it in/on whatever fitting you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

You aren't allowed to hookup new gas lines here (and haven't been for quite a while) and my place didn't already have one when I bought it so that was out. The ancient electric at my old apartment was completely unusable for anything beyond boiling water so I was a bit concerned but the ~two year old mid-range electric that was already installed is totally fine (if a bit ugly) as long as you know you're not cooking on gas and use appropriate pans. I had an induction cooktop I was using at the apartment but it hasn't seen any real use since I've been here.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

B-Nasty posted:

No matter what, tank water heaters are 10-15 year devices. Some people act like old water heaters are a badge of honor, but it's pretty stupid to risk thousands of dollars of water damage for a $600 tank that has lived a useful life.

Not that I would recommend keeping around a water heater that is 15 years old, but even a fancy water alarm is like $20.